The toolbox thread

100Tours

the picture is an internet picture but merely for illustration purposes, but this needs to "thinner" you can check this by putting it against your chain

This sounds strange, Park Tools chain breakers can be used for all chains, in fact they only have one size replacement pin driver

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds strange, Park Tools chain breakers can be used for all chains, in fact they only have one size replacement pin driver

The newer tools yes. ie CT 3.2 and CT 3.3.

Parktool only have the latest revision on their site, so the pin you see will be compatible

You find quite a bit of chain breakers say 8-11spd , as well as separate chain breaker for Campagnolo.

You can use them in brick but they need to be super hard. I know rawl bolt themselves say that their product can be used in anything but on a course with fischer fixings they said a nylon anchor with a coach screw is better

The problem we as trade people have is these bricks with the holes in them. Some bricks have only 3 big holes in and other a lot of small holes. That is a cavity in the place where you want to install an anchor (rawl bolt or plug or whatever). Solid bricks or concrete are the best, obviously.

There are products that, when you find its a hollow brick, that you install a ceetain type of fischer plug and squirt then a thick type of epoxy into the plug so it gives a larger grip area in the cavity. But those things are expensive and really meant for guys who work with this scenario every day.

So whats the best to use, a fischer plug or rawl bolt? Both have their advantage and disadvantage, but the best is to hope you don't drill into a hollow part of the brick when you don't want to.

The problem we as trade people have is these bricks with the holes in them. Some bricks have only 3 big holes in and other a lot of small holes. That is a cavity in the place where you want to install an anchor (rawl bolt or plug or whatever). Solid bricks or concrete are the best, obviously.

There are products that, when you find its a hollow brick, that you install a ceetain type of fischer plug and squirt then a thick type of epoxy into the plug so it gives a larger grip area in the cavity. But those things are expensive and really meant for guys who work with this scenario every day.

So whats the best to use, a fischer plug or rawl bolt? Both have their advantage and disadvantage, but the best is to hope you don't drill into a hollow part of the brick when you don't want to.

Are'nt the 3 hole brick normally only reserved for facebrick though ?

Slowly rebuilding my tool collection. Picked these up today.

fea12ab8944a94823c3ffe6695c4b6bc.jpg

Is all the Irwin stuff in your part of the world orange and black?

In NZ and Aus it's typically blue and yellow. Just wondering if they "regionalise" it?!

Its the building industry - people do weird ****.

He he rawl bolt vs plastic plug. i learnt the rawl bolt storey some time ago screwing a gate to a brick gatepost about 440mm square. Tightening the rawl bolt the top courses of the brickwork popped up, separated by the expansion of the bolt. Use with care.

In NZ and Aus it's typically blue and yellow. Just wondering if they "regionalise" it?!

Was also going to ask. Here is RSA it is also blue and yellow. I have some irwin tools and a pair of their gloves. The stuff is quality. The gloves are amazing. I think a lot of people under estimate a pair of decent gloves. I have a few pairs of leather gloves that I usually use but when I bring out my mooi mooi irwins I feel like a F1 mechanic. They were fairly pricey so I only wear them on special occasions. They can be washed which is nice. The leather ones are also nice for dirtier jobs and they last a few years before you need to chuck them. Luckily they a lot cheaper than the irwin gloves.

I had this problem - my house is FB with 3 hole bricks, i hung a new gate which needed 12mm rawlbolts which i initially used - eventually the bricks cracked and the electric gate pulled the brackets off the wall.

I had to surgically break out the broken bricks and replace with new ones - I used the Fisher plastic cages and their glue to insert threaded rod, remounted the brackets.

Its incredible how strong that glue is and the only way to mount things on cavity bricks - its expensive but really works well

Not sure - was in to do click and collect on the other stuff and they had the saws on special at the counter so I just picked one up.

Edit: just checked online and it seems to be blue and yellow normally

Edited by BigDL