The toolbox thread

100Tours

I have a centrifugal switch from a table saw that has cracked and is now spinning on the shaft. They seem to be hard to come by, is this something that I can fix with Pratley's steel, will it stick to the switch? It seems to be from cast brass or something. 

post-84485-0-30410600-1619441470_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a centrifugal switch from a table saw that has cracked and is now spinning on the shaft. They seem to be hard to come by, is this something that I can fix with Pratley's steel, will it stick to the switch? It seems to be from cast brass or something.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-04-26 at 14.48.24.jpeg

Probably some kind of alloy not too many degrees from pewter, just about impossible to repair and make the screw full load bearing again.

I'd glue the whole lot into place with Pratley steel, on the shaft and them put some into the screw how and tighten the screw with as much load as it can take currently.

Or another option is perhaps using a pipe clamp to replace the clamping force of the screw, make 2 cut outs in the collar to allow it to be squeezed and compares onto the shaft.

Edited by Skylark

Probably some kind of alloy not too many degrees from pewter, just about impossible to repair and make the screw full load bearing again.

I'd glue the whole lot into place with Pratley steel, on the shaft and them put some into the screw how and tighten the screw with as much load as it can take currently.

Or another option is perhaps using a pipe clamp to replace the clamping force of the screw, make 2 cut outs in the collar to allow it to be squeezed and compares onto the shaft.

Thanks I also considered the whole pipe clamp idea to prevent it from splitting further. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, having bought a Makita battery brush cutter a few weeks back and loving it, I bought a Makita Battery chainsaw. I was inspired by seeing some pine trees on the side of the road that had been felled and left, so I bought the saw and went this morning to recover some wood. Brilliant saw - batteries run for about 45 mins. Used one set of batteries per trailer load.

3b89809b859e7609e27983a433b22773.jpg

So, having bought a Makita battery brush cutter a few weeks back and loving it, I bought a Makita Battery chainsaw. I was inspired by seeing some pine trees on the side of the road that had been felled and left, so I bought the saw and went this morning to recover some wood. Brilliant saw - batteries run for about 45 mins. Used one set of batteries per trailer load.

3b89809b859e7609e27983a433b22773.jpg

I have this and it’s great but wait till you try the recipro saw - I use it even more than the chainsaw

I have this and it’s great but wait till you try the recipro saw - I use it even more than the chainsaw

yes but you have absolutely zero "Jason" points wielding a reciprocating saw because it looks like a garden utensil instead of a decapitation machine 

No no no - this thread has cost me a small fortune already. Now I’m looking at a saw I’d never heard of before. My loving wife has been very patient with me, but I doubt her patience would run to another saw at this stage [emoji23].

No no no - this thread has cost me a small fortune already. Now I’m looking at a saw I’d never heard of before. My loving wife has been very patient with me, but I doubt her patience would run to another saw at this stage [emoji23].

don't tell me she never saw this coming!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Try Femco . They do a range of motors and also produce their own .https://local.infobel.co.za/ZA100700419-0118870953/femco_electrical-buccleuch_outlying.html

I see OneDayOnly has a Ryboi 12V Impact Driver with battery and charger for R699 this morning.

I'm hugely tempted, talk me out of it please

Edited by ouzo

3 minutes ago, fanievb said:

they are crap ( I had one)

Get the 18V one

yeah thanks, took a closer look at it on the big screen rather than my phone and simply based on looks its looks crap. I was drawn by the sub 1k price tag, but I think I'll rather wait and buy something better.

16 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yeah thanks, took a closer look at it on the big screen rather than my phone and simply based on looks its looks crap. I was drawn by the sub 1k price tag, but I think I'll rather wait and buy something better.

To affirm your wisdom:

With drills, and battery tech, if you want to buy only once, don't buy the cheapest. And 12v is fine only for a lazy man's screwdriver. For work, 18v is the minimum, 20v is what the big dog machines use. 

Oh, and Ryobi is cheap for a reason, it's in the build quality. Been there, still have one t-shirt left. Rest have been binned. 

Edited by PhilipV

24 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I was also interested in the R1k price bracket, but eventually bit the bullet and bought the Bosch Professional Cordless 18V when it was on Special on Takealot. Think it was about R1400. Very happy with it thus far.