The toolbox thread

100Tours

The Bosch Professional 18V drill/ hammer/ impact driver is often on special. Builders is often your best bet when on sale, as they have the bulk buying power, they were R1400 with battery and charger just last week, though think that sale is over now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does Knipex tools locally? I've seen RS-online which seems decent and know of one or two niche stores.

I have a couple of wood projects coming up at the new house. Table tops, cupboard doors etc. 

All items that I would prefer not to cut on my shitty table saw. 

Recently started looking at track saws. Metabo makes a kit for around R5000 which includes a 160cm track. Bit short for 2.4m boards so another 160cm would be needed at R1400 and then another R1200 for the connecting hardware. 

Is there a solution out there that can cut straight lines 2m+ without spending R7500?

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I see OneDayOnly has a Ryboi 12V Impact Driver with battery and charger for R699 this morning.

I'm hugely tempted, talk me out of it please

Bosch has a much nicer one that's a drill-driver. Often times you can find it for R1,200. Worth the wait.

20 minutes ago, M L said:

Bosch has a much nicer one that's a drill-driver. Often times you can find it for R1,200. Worth the wait.

Only problem being that the links you posted are impact drills and he's looking for an impact driver. Different tools (the impacts are in different directions).

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

To affirm your wisdom:

With drills, and battery tech, if you want to buy only once, don't buy the cheapest. And 12v is fine only for a lazy man's screwdriver. For work, 18v is the minimum, 20v is what the big dog machines use. 

Oh, and Ryobi is cheap for a reason, it's in the build quality. Been there, still have one t-shirt left. Rest have been binned. 

More like TRyobi.......

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

I have a couple of wood projects coming up at the new house. Table tops, cupboard doors etc. 

Recently started looking at track saws. Metabo makes a kit for around R5000 which includes a 160cm track. Bit short for 2.4m boards so another 160cm would be needed at R1400 and then another R1200 for the connecting hardware. 

Is there a solution out there that can cut straight lines 2m+ without spending R7500?

If you have clamps, time and patience you can go a long way with a 2.5m aluminum straight edge which will cost a few hundred and a standard circular saw running along/up against it with an offset

6 minutes ago, geomark said:

If you have clamps, time and patience you can go a long way with a 2.5m aluminum straight edge which will cost a few hundred and a standard circular saw running along/up against it with an offset

Alternatively you can make your own zero clearance track for a circular saw with 2 bits of MDF or plywood (I used plywood but I reckon MDF would have been a better option). Works like a bomb and is pretty cheap.

Found an aluminium cement float at the house in a 2m length. This should actually do the trick for now. 

My circular saw is just very old and janky to be honest. I can justify a spend of R2500 for a new saw though. 

14 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

EDIT: Just saw your subsequent posts, but yeah track saw's are great tools. Pricey though.

Were you looking at the plunge cut or regular? Plunge cut is optimal, especially when it comes to dust collection.

I have a Makita 36V track saw and although I only have a 1.4m track for it. I have managed to rip a 2.2m piece if 25mm thick oak veneered ply.

The trick was to mark the entire straight line, set the track at the start. plunge and cut to about half way. Then releasing the power trigger but not the plunge (keeping the saw in the cut) and carefully shifting the track to line up with the 2nd half of the cut, I then proceeded to complete the rip.

The beauty of a track saw is that it cuts perfectly on the line (if you have trimmed your splinter guard correctly). So if my marked line is straight and I line the track up on my markings, it gets it near as dammit.

It's not ideal to shift the track and I do have the 3m Makita track on my wishlist, but I think it was more accurate than trying to manhandle a 2.2m sheet of ply through a jobsite table saw and run it perfectly against the fence. I think I was far more likely to deviate from a straight cut like that.

Edited by patches

Thanks Patches. Plunge would be perfect but finances… the renovation on the house is costing a bit. 

One day. Good thing is I can always add the track later.