The toolbox thread

100Tours

3 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

New additions to the bench.

IMG_20211010_140933.jpg

May I ask you what the torque wrench set you back please, and what range does it have?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

May I ask you what the torque wrench set you back please, and what range does it have?

5-25nm. Got it through Teng Tools locally online. Normal price R1153, got it on their Braai Day special for R1038. Comes with calibration certificate etc and quality is tops.

Drop Simon a mail, great bunch, very helpful and often run specials.

Knipex came with a friend from the UK

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

New additions to the bench.

IMG_20211010_140933.jpg

Holy crap I'm jelly please post thoughts on the adjustable wrench in a couple of months, also eyeing a 180 or larger one 

I'll give some feedback once I've used it a bit. Been wanting one for years.

Know a couple helicopter engineers that have the whole range and it's all they have in the traveling tool case for spanners.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, Hairy said:

So who has a mill like this, or an anvil like this................

I used an angle grinder to make my anvil out of some railway line steel if that counts?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 8:32 AM, Hairy said:

Got the little Bosch 27 piece set yester and tossed it into my bag on the way to a site meeting on the bicycle ... then got to use it on the way back to adjust the saddle angle that was just not right.

Till you use a ratchet like this you do not realise how much easier it makes life on hard to reach areas.

Just an update

This little tool kit is a gem. Getting into tight spaces is easy peasy and I use it far more than I ever thought I would.

Win win I say.

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Add a 6 N.m torque wrench and this kit is probably thee most used part of my toolkit

https://evobikes.co.za/product/birzman-torque-driver-5nm/

Get the 6 N.m one, not the 5N.m

I am starting to consider a big boy torque wrench for spinning spanners on the motorbike......I trust my wrist on the bicycle well enough thanks to many years of working on my bicycles, but the motorbike is a bit daunting for me and my wrist is also not calibrated to those torque numbers (Yet) :P

Bloody things are expensive though, but I assume it is one of those things you only buy once in life.

24 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I am starting to consider a big boy torque wrench for spinning spanners on the motorbike......I trust my wrist on the bicycle well enough thanks to many years of working on my bicycles, but the motorbike is a bit daunting for me and my wrist is also not calibrated to those torque numbers (Yet) :P

Bloody things are expensive though, but I assume it is one of those things you only buy once in life.

Sadly not that "easy" ....

Motorcycles have a WIDE range of torque settings.  So you need a "small" torque wrench for the sub-20N.m bolts, then the "medium" torque wrench for the next set of bolts.  And when you get the higher end of torque values a "large" torque wrench is needed.  Unfortunately the "range" of torque values of each is such that you end up with three torque wrenched to take you from 4N.m all the way to the 125+N.m range.  Thankfully I got the big one working on cars, then bought the medium when working on motorcycles, so getting the small one for the MTB was just one more step down the rabbit hole.

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sadly not that "easy" ....

Motorcycles have a WIDE range of torque settings.  So you need a "small" torque wrench for the sub-20N.m bolts, then the "medium" torque wrench for the next set of bolts.  And when you get the higher end of torque values a "large" torque wrench is needed.  Unfortunately the "range" of torque values of each is such that you end up with three torque wrenched to take you from 4N.m all the way to the 125+N.m range.  Thankfully I got the big one working on cars, then bought the medium when working on motorcycles, so getting the small one for the MTB was just one more step down the rabbit hole.

I need something from 20-50N.m .... that should cover the basics of what I would want to do ............................................................................... I think

Are "great deals or finds" at the local Cash Converts worthwhile, or are you potentially just wasting your money?

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Are "great deals or finds" at the local Cash Converts worthwhile, or are you potentially just wasting your money?

It depends.

I've bought a Stihl brush cutter there that I knew was undervalued, and in great condition. And a Carpenter mate of mine buys Bosch cordless tools there to send on site with his crews. He just replaces batteries as needed. 

And I'll buy well priced knives there. In fact I'm carrying a Leatherman right now  that I got at a local cash converters. 

22 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Just too many of our fellow Hubbers goods have ended up in Cash converters .... :cursing:

I dont want to feed that beast ... :thumbdown:

25 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I need something from 20-50N.m .... that should cover the basics of what I would want to do ............................................................................... I think

So the "medium" it is .... for now ....

Actually a good start.  As the projects are done, you will figure out if you have any need for the other two.

Last torque wrench my dad checked out at Cash Converters was a decent Geodore unit, but when asking the sales person, they said it's great, it just doesn't read accurately.... as if they didn't know what the use of the wrench is for.

Look out for Teng Tools, very good product and they often run specials. Comes with a calibration certificate.

I bought a cheap AutoZone 20-210 torque wrench from CC for just over a hundred bucks, still need to do a calibration on it, but basically just use it at 40-50nm for cranks and cassettes.