Poor service from LBS - what to do?

boesman88

Had/am having a terrible experience from my local bikeshop. Took my bike for a major service- they quoted me and said they’ll call if there is anything extra required which they didnt do. Collected the bike and had to pay an extra R1000 (not million :-) for the service for additional parts. Took it back the next day to sort out a problem with the shock that wasnt there before- they kinda fixed it, collected the bike again. Returned again next day as it now developed a ‘clack’ sound during power stroke. Collected the next day- ‘clack’ still there plus I got a gigantic scratch on the top tube...

What do I do? Super grumpy!!

Edited by boesman88

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had/am having a terrible experience from my local bikeshop. Took my bike for a major service- they quoted me and said they’ll call if there is anything extra required which they didnt do. Collected the bike and had to pay an extra R1000k for the service for additional parts. Took it back the next day to sort out a problem with the shock that wasnt there before- they kinda fixed it, collected the bike again. Returned again next day as it now developed a ‘clack’ sound during power stroke. Collected the next day- ‘clack’ still there plus I got a gigantic scratch on the top tube...

A million rand service - must have been something special [emoji23]

Only joking, I would be pissed as well

A million rand service - must have been something special [emoji23]

Only joking, I would be pissed as well

Hahaha - oops. Not quite that much

Edited by boesman88

With how the economy is you would think places would take better care of their customers and keep their quality high.

I now drive much further back to the shop I used to support when I lived in Bellville because of a similar issue. Bikes went in to new local shop and cost more than double what I was told which isn't the problem, but both had issues that wasn't there before. After the 3rd return I went back to my old shop and all sorted first time!

With how the economy is you would think places would take better care of their customers and keep their quality high.

I now drive much further back to the shop I used to support when I lived in Bellville because of a similar issue. Bikes went in to new local shop and cost more than double what I was told which isn't the problem, but both had issues that wasn't there before. After the 3rd return I went back to my old shop and all sorted first time!

Ha! It's not bad enough that you can still walk into a shop, be ignored, told you're wrong and don't know what you want, and just flat out lied to. And then they overcharge you for the privilege.

It's so frustrating. You have such great owners and mechanics, and then the polar opposite of just ultra shitty, ultra cocky asshats.

Had/am having a terrible experience from my local bikeshop. Took my bike for a major service- they quoted me and said they’ll call if there is anything extra required which they didnt do. Collected the bike and had to pay an extra R1000 (not million :-) for the service for additional parts. Took it back the next day to sort out a problem with the shock that wasnt there before- they kinda fixed it, collected the bike again. Returned again next day as it now developed a ‘clack’ sound during power stroke. Collected the next day- ‘clack’ still there plus I got a gigantic scratch on the top tube...

hopefully the sunrise has brought a fresh perspective and a renewed sense of enthusiaasm for the sport...

Take it back, tell them what you're unhappy about and give them 24hrs to fix it or you're setting the bikehub dogs on them (try to look very angry and serious at this point).

If that doesn't work find a new LBS and just talk as much *** about the old shop till you've exorcised the demons and moved on

The big issue for me is the scratch on the top tube. If you haven't already, make them aware of it, preferably in an email (so there is evidence). The longer you take to inform them of the damage to your bike, the more chance they've got to deny liability. They must repair that scratch.

Spoke to the shop and informed them of the situation - their response “I dont actually know what to do. But please bring it back (again)”. Guess at least he is honest about the ‘dont actually know what to do’ bit. Lets see how this goes one last time...

The worst thing is the bloody scratch - you try and look after your stuff and then some oke ignorantly neglects your bike and causes such damage to it. Makes me demi moore in.

The scratch is crap and that really sucks but how old is the bike and what fork does it have on it? The noise you're hearing could be the CSU - maybe make a sound clip / video of the noise for all our keyboard surgeons to diagnose  :rolleyes:

Spoke to the shop and informed them of the situation - their response “I dont actually know what to do. But please bring it back (again)”. Guess at least he is honest about the ‘dont actually know what to do’ bit. Lets see how this goes one last time...

The worst thing is the bloody scratch - you try and look after your stuff and then some oke ignorantly neglects your bike and causes such damage to it. Makes me demi moore in.

Insist that they repair the scratch at their cost. 

Insist that they repair the scratch at their cost. 

Not sure where OP is based, but Carbon Bike Repairs in Durbanville can do a repair (at the LBS's cost of course) on the scratch without having to respray the whole bike. Pricing and quality has been ok so far on repair work I had done by them, and the lead time is usually 5 to 10 working days

Had to take make road bike to a different shop this morning because my LBS is closing down. Walked in with my road bike, which I never ride except for the 'big' races (on my MTB about four times a week). First question I got asked is "did you book it in". Really crappy service. Looked around the shop at new bikes, as my dad is interested, and no one offered to help. 

I left my bike there, because I am pressed for time, but will probably not go back. 

Had to take make road bike to a different shop this morning because my LBS is closing down. Walked in with my road bike, which I never ride except for the 'big' races (on my MTB about four times a week). First question I got asked is "did you book it in". Really crappy service. Looked around the shop at new bikes, as my dad is interested, and no one offered to help.

I left my bike there, because I am pressed for time, but will probably not go back.

The did you book it in? ... Makes sense since a shop can only service X amount of bikes a day.