The new First Ascent Podium Bibshorts

Arrie

I'm currently riding a pair. Much improved on the old stuff. So far, they've been good. I need to give it a few more riders though.

really dont think it can be compared to their old range...

It looks proper. Give it a go and let us know!

really dont think it can be compared to their old range...

It looks proper. Give it a go and let us know!

they certainly have a proper price.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm privileged to be able to "test drive" a set of the new First Ascent Podium kit (bib + jersey).

My First impressions were not overwhelming, since I feel the packaging could have been nicer, for the money being charged. Possibly a nice branded string bag or something, would make it a little special.....?

Bib - it has good fit, just cut slightly high infront, so not as easy to take a leak as with other brands (read Assos, Santini, etc.). The chamois padding felt bulkier on my first fitting, but then I compared it with other brands (read Assos) & it's similar thickness. The Lycra feels like quality, but only time & more washing will tell. Stitching is top notch, with no irritation any wear. On the bike, I settled in right from the go & never needed to readjust or felt uncomfortable. Washing - Quick drying including the chamois. So can be used everyday, during summer.

Jersey - The material is super light weight, so it doesn't feel like you're wearing anything. It's a very good cut/fit very similar to other brands (read Rapha). On the bike, I wore a quality under shirt, so not must sweat reached the jersey material, so this including the flow thru the jersey made for very comfortable dry rides.

My only question - is the kit worth top $$$$ ? I don't think so, First Ascent has a excellent product, but need to use it to build their brand awareness via pricing, under clients who would have invested in European brands.

Still a move in the right direction !!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a set of the Podium bibs and Podium jersey.

Both excellent quality and nice race fit. Only managed to get one ride in but will report back after a while after a few washes and more use.

Bibs - the bib has a nice gripper and I didn't experience any riding of the legs. Chamois was solid and comparable to other top brands in the price range and above. Had to get a size small due to my waist size which meant that the straps are a little tight due to my height but nothing too serious. Would highly recommend these if you looking for a decent set of bibs. The price is fairly high but you get what you pay for in terms of kit. 

Jersey - This is a solid race fit. 3 pockets on the back with a zip compartment. Found the side pockets a little tight but rather tight than too loose. The jersey has nice breathable side panels which made riding in 30 degree humidity bearable. Sleeves are a decent length and the plain colour is a nice addition to the wardrobe. Would be nice to see a black version too because BOBOB. 

Look forward to the addition of more colourways to get my hands on. 

Cheers First Ascent!

Got a set of the Podium bibs and Podium jersey.

Both excellent quality and nice race fit. Only managed to get one ride in but will report back after a while after a few washes and more use.

Bibs - the bib has a nice gripper and I didn't experience any riding of the legs. Chamois was solid and comparable to other top brands in the price range and above. Had to get a size small due to my waist size which meant that the straps are a little tight due to my height but nothing too serious. Would highly recommend these if you looking for a decent set of bibs. The price is fairly high but you get what you pay for in terms of kit. 

all of this after just 1 ride ?

all of this after just 1 ride ?

A 3,5 hour ride - yeah. If a chamois is ***, you'll know it after a hour or two. 

Like I said, I'll report back after further use but so far so good. 

A 3,5 hour ride - yeah. If a chamois is ***, you'll know it after a hour or two. 

Like I said, I'll report back after further use but so far so good. 

i'd say you would need more like 6+ months to decide on how good they really are... Quality can deteriorate quite quickly after months of regular use so lets see.

I have some First Ascent stuff, including the new Podium jobs but I reckon Assos is better value for money. After a year of usage the First Ascent stuff has had it, whereas the Assos stuff is till very good. The Assos products are more comfortable and because they last longer, they're actually cheaper.

I have some First Ascent stuff, including the new Podium jobs but I reckon Assos is better value for money. After a year of usage the First Ascent stuff has had it, whereas the Assos stuff is till very good. The Assos products are more comfortable and because they last longer, they're actually cheaper.

Exactly why I said what I did above, my assos centos are going strong after 4 years or regular use. I do have multiple bibs which i rotate but the assos is still in good nick.

The podium bibs have just come out, so check back in 12 or 24months and let us know.