W2W and E-bikes

Dicky DQ

I did the W2W mid week ride, no idea what it is called now, some wine I think.

Apart from the weather it was a Jol. 1st time I have even done a mass participation event at the back end of the field and it was interesting to say the least. Back to the topic:

E-bikes were a separate category in this event and started way later than the last group. I think almost 2 hrs later and it was good to see that it probably worked.

As I said I was at the very back of the field (last 10 ish) When they caught us it was easy for them to blast pass and there was no ways the riders they passed could even think of catching a bit of slip so there was also no negative impact on the positions (not that it would have mattered).

It was also great to see a good dose of people doing the ride that would never have manged on a pushbike, so all in all a good thing I would say. Yes there were a few wannabe racing snakes, but there was no issue.

So I say bring it on, as long as it can be managed the way W2W have done, I think the start was well timed.

Any thoughts?

I don't think anyone would have a legitimate issue if it is done in the way you described.

It's when they mix it up with the "more serious" part of the field that the problems start. Very few people have a problem with ebikes specifically, we just don't want them interfering.

I did the Chardonnay last weekend and had the privilege to do the mid week on the new TREK Powerfly. It was a massive jol, couldn't stop smiling.

The starting setup was perfectly, no issues. W2W are looking at adding a E-bike racing category next year. These guys will start roughly 30min before the A bunch. Only allowed one battery for the stage. This should be very interesting as tactics will play a big role as you will have to manage your battery life, and can't just Turbo all the way.

And don't be fooled, you can still get a proper workout on these E-bikes. This market is going to be huge in a few years time.

I did the W2W mid week ride, no idea what it is called now, some wine I think.

Apart from the weather it was a Jol. 1st time I have even done a mass participation event at the back end of the field and it was interesting to say the least. Back to the topic:

E-bikes were a separate category in this event and started way later than the last group. I think almost 2 hrs later and it was good to see that it probably worked.

As I said I was at the very back of the field (last 10 ish) When they caught us it was easy for them to blast pass and there was no ways the riders they passed could even think of catching a bit of slip so there was also no negative impact on the positions (not that it would have mattered).

It was also great to see a good dose of people doing the ride that would never have manged on a pushbike, so all in all a good thing I would say. Yes there were a few wannabe racing snakes, but there was no issue.

So I say bring it on, as long as it can be managed the way W2W have done, I think the start was well timed.

Any thoughts?

Do u know how many ebike entries there were?

Runners are not campaigning for Comrades to add a Segway cat.

Imo more of a classic capitalism marketing push, rather than the next level of technology in cycling.

I think it is easier to sell e-bikes to all the ex golfers than sell Segways to runners :ph34r:

Edited by Christie

I would also like to know ^ The results website indicates 11 teams finished - which seems incorrect.

Not sure but about 8 to 10 teams passed us. As I said their start was way later than the pushbike start so difficult to see.

I also heard that they needed to have a walk mode to be able to do the ride (not sure what that is)

I also saw that Spook brought a few bikes around with a Bakkie via the N2 to join at the top of the Wapad. Granted the Wapad was a river.

Edited by TDFN

We need footage of this.

Actually saw a pic of the first ebike pushing up wapad on twitter..can't seem to find it now

Done a few W2W .. and I would really love to do it on a ebike. (seems way more fun and you can actually enjoy the views)  Maybe next year for the reverse.