DJI Mavic Mini - New Drone

Tankman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mini 2 just released with a number of reviews already on YT.

Lekker upgrades, but still no obstacle avoidance :-(

Raw photo and 4k video is more than enough for me to upgrade to the 2!

Just wonder if someone cant hack the mini to give us 4k and raw photo. The current sensor is 4k capable!

Adding avoidance sensors will push it over the 249 grams unfortunately.

Having now flown and worked with quite a few different DJI drones, I still love the ease of use and mobility the Mini offers, so easy to stick in an already overcrowded kit bag!!

The mini 2 is a really good improvement on the previous version, but I still went air 2 because of the high winds here and because 4K 60 is preferable at times to 4K 30. Sensors are a bonus.

Edited by The Ghost

The mini 2 is a really good improvement on the previous version, but I still went air 2 because of the high winds here and because 4K 60 is preferable at times to 4K 30. Sensors are a bonus.

I've been using the Mini for estate photography and it is much less noticeable than the Pro, smaller and a lot quieter.

Getting it done without being harrassed by neighborhood wannabe security guards and nosy neighbors much favours the mini.

Raw photo would make my editing job much much easier and this is one thing I have really missed.

Would be interested to compare noise levles between the Air 2 and Mini 2.

But 4k 30 is enough for me for video... for now!

Yeah the mini will always win for size and noise, although with the new power of the mini 2 it will be interesting to see the difference as you say.

If that’s all you’re doing then the mini2 is awesome.

The 60fps frame rate is good if you ever need to slow down your footage for emphasis or for beginners like me when we need to make it look smoother [emoji51]

If the 4k 30fps gets added to the Mini 2, does that mean the 2.7k gets bumped up to 60fps? I haven't checked specs.

60fps in 2.7k would be exactly the same as 4k 60fps for all youtube social media consumers watching on their mobile devices.

The more you fly the smoother your footage will become ????

I use the Mini for much more and much more than I anticipated originally

If the 4k 30fps gets added to the Mini 2, does that mean the 2.7k gets bumped up to 60fps? I haven't checked specs.

60fps in 2.7k would be exactly the same as 4k 60fps for all youtube social media consumers watching on their mobile devices.

The more you fly the smoother your footage will become [emoji6]

I use the Mini for much more and much more than I anticipated originally :D

Nope.

Pic attached.

Yeah for watching on a phone 4K isn’t a thing at all.

7afe3bbbf53275716bbc9926fcf721ef.jpg

Edited by The Ghost

Lekka! Lekka when you can travel light.

Is that 2.8 on the Z6?

Yeah, a 24-70 f/2.8 on a Z6 Edited by The Ghost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My oldest turned 5 3 weeks ago and he asked for a drone for his birthday. So there was no way I was going to get a larney drone for a 5y/o. So I bought a cheapie for a grand. Some SHOX thing sold by those tevo okes. Had a basic camera that synced to the phone via an app and wifi. Could fly it with the remote or phone. Very basic. We first flew it inside the house but that didn't last as he kept hitting everything and the one dog went bos all the time. So we went and flew it in the garden. First day was fine, no issues. 2nd day it was windy and the poor little guy didn't understand that his drone isn't fancy enough to fly in wind but he took it out anyway. Took off and it wasn't 5m off the ground and gone. The wind just took it and it was gone. It went into the garden diagonally behind us. I went to the owner and asked to go look, he was very accommodating and came home from work during lunch hour to let me in. We couldn't see the thing but when he asked his maid if she had seen it she just kept quite so we suspect she found it and kept it. But o well, lesson learnt. As it was his birthday present we replaced it, got a 500 buck small inside drone from loot. He now flies it around the lounge and is happy again. When he gets better at flying and doesn't hit everything I will buy him a fancier drone that I can borrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to buy either the new Mini-2 or going for the Mavic Air 2.  (never owned a drone, so Mini2 for beginner, But...)

I like the Obstruction avoidance and Tracking modes on the Mavic Air 2, but from most youtube videos, I cant really see if it will track me properly if I go really fast DH on my mtb.   I assume to get propper follow shots, you need a good Pilot? 

Have you guys got any experience on this, using the Mavic Air 2 compared to Mini-2?? Both got 4k and cant take nice pictures. I also imagine that the "Mini-3" will come out with more bells next year.

At R12000 the Mini-2 combo looks like a good option

Edited by Mohs

I am looking to buy either the new Mini-2 or going for the Mavic Air 2.  (never owned a drone, so Mini2 for beginner, But...)

I like the Obstruction avoidance and Tracking modes on the Mavic Air 2, but from most youtube videos, I cant really see if it will track me properly if I go really fast DH on my mtb.   I assume to get propper follow shots, you need a good Pilot? 

Have you guys got any experience on this, using the Mavic Air 2 compared to Mini-2?? Both got 4k and cant take nice pictures. I also imagine that the "Mini-3" will come out with more bells next year.

At R12000 the Mini-2 combo looks like a good option

DJI tracking ability is good but to follow you downhill on your MTB...nah, it battles to track downhill ie terrain tracking...better to have really good pilot or get the Skydio 2.....

The new mini 2 is a good piece of kit and the bar at entry level has been raised, but I also like the obstacle avoidance and better wind resistance of the Air 2.

Make sure to check that whichever you choose has the modes you might want, for example the Air 2 doesn’t have some of the modes that Pro does for example that I would have liked.