Road Bike Advice

toptoobnoob

Hi everyone

I posted a while ago about getting back into road cycling and taking racing more seriously. It's time for me to start deciding what bike I'd like.

I've been searching on the classifieds using this search query (frame 54, R15k budget, CPT), but not sure how exactly to compare based on age, components etc.

I've been looking at the following:

Swift Attack Era 3

BMC Roadracer SL01

Merida Scultra Evo 904

Which looks the best in terms of value?

Have I missed anything?

Thanks for the help

:)

I have a BMC and I love it.  Comfortable little rocket.  The specs and components on that one though seem a little odd - not sure that they came out with those.  

Edited by dirtypot

Based on just the pictures.

Out of the 3 I'd get the BMC.

The swift looks like a bit of a hodge podge of old parts. The Merida is old.

Purely my opinion. But I'd wait a bit. for 15k I think you can do better.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You will get varying opinions but I would list as follows:-

1) BMC  - Medium cage RD gives cassette options, later model.  

2) Merida - Solid option.

3) Swift.  The Swift frame is great but as mentioned the components are old and mixed

MY reservation with the titan would be the brakes - have mechanical discs improved? cos I was told to go hydraulic

Was my thought as well

but the pro - hydraulic brakes is 10k more, so out of price bracket

Hi everyone

I posted a while ago about getting back into road cycling and taking racing more seriously. It's time for me to start deciding what bike I'd like.

I've been searching on the classifieds using this search query (frame 54, R15k budget, CPT), but not sure how exactly to compare based on age, components etc.

I've been looking at the following:

Swift Attack Era 3

BMC Roadracer SL01

Merida Scultra Evo 904

Which looks the best in terms of value?

Have I missed anything?

Thanks for the help

:)

Hey, If you are keen, can get a Fondriest with Ultegra 6800 for around 17k? 

Would be a lot nicer than the options above and only a few grand more.

Edited by Pure Savage

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey, If you are keen, can get a Fondriest with Ultegra 6800 for around 17k? 

Would be a lot nicer than the options above and only a few grand more.

Do you have links so I can check it out? If I were to spend that much I feel like I should be leaning towards a bike with warranty though.

Been eyeing those bikes for a while, but think it might just be too big of a stretch. 

Based on just the pictures.

Out of the 3 I'd get the BMC.

The swift looks like a bit of a hodge podge of old parts. The Merida is old.

Purely my opinion. But I'd wait a bit. for 15k I think you can do better.

I've been eyeing it for a few months and haven't seen anything anything far better than above (I think). I suspect it would be easier in Joburg?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Do you have links so I can check it out? If I were to spend that much I feel like I should be leaning towards a bike with warranty though.

Been eyeing those bikes for a while, but think it might just be too big of a stretch. 

I've been eyeing it for a few months and haven't seen anything anything far better than above (I think). I suspect it would be easier in Joburg?

a bike with warranty at 17k, not possible hey. you need to buy new and will have to look at the R25k mark if you want a carbon frame.

MY reservation with the titan would be the brakes - have mechanical discs improved? cos I was told to go hydraulic

Mechanical disc brakes are still a major headache. I've shopped around for a number of years and still havent really found a proper solution for my road bike with disc brakes.

silverback is always good value for money, shop around and visit a few bike shops, you might pick up a good deal.

The silverback Sirelli 2 retail is around R26k, if dealer is trying to clear stock then you may be in luck