Scott Scale - Straight steerer to taper steerer.

Jimmy Mack

I am replacing the fork on my 2015 Scott Scale 950. The original fork, a Fox Evolution Series, has a straight steerer. The replacement fork, also a Fox Revolution Series has a tapered steerer. I purchased a headset kit from my local bike shop but found that the bearings do not fit into the end cups.

The bike mechanic informed me that the end cups are unnecessary. When I asked how the bearings would seat without the end cups he seemed confused. Can anyone tell me if the conversion from straight steerer to taper steerer is possible on this model Scott Scale and if so, how it's done?

I've never tried this, but I have always been lead to believe that if your frame is designed for a straight steerer, a tapered fork will not fit.

You can fit a straight steerer to a tapered frame by using adaptors, but not the other way round.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.

as far as I know, this frame is tapered. It may have had a straight steerer fork fork fitted and the external cups may be there as to accommodate this narrow steerer.

Sounds like you need to change the cups and the tapered steerer will fit perfectly.

You’ll need new cups, a bearing press of some sort and of course new bearings. The bearing press is for fitting the new cups squarely in the frame headtube and is the most critical part of this conversion. The cups can be expensive, precisely why i decided to stick with a straight steerer fork (my budget was tight but i needed a new fork).

The tapered cup will sit externally and will affect the headtube angle ever so slightly. But this conversion can be done, as mentioned, new cups can be pricey.

I've never tried this, but I have always been lead to believe that if your frame is designed for a straight steerer, a tapered fork will not fit.

You can fit a straight steerer to a tapered frame by using adaptors, but not the other way round.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by gemmerbal

If I were you, step one would be finding a new local bike shop...

I am replacing the fork on my 2015 Scott Scale 950. The original fork, a Fox Evolution Series, has a straight steerer. The replacement fork, also a Fox Revolution Series has a tapered steerer. I purchased a headset kit from my local bike shop but found that the bearings do not fit into the end cups.

The bike mechanic informed me that the end cups are unnecessary. When I asked how the bearings would seat without the end cups he seemed confused. Can anyone tell me if the conversion from straight steerer to taper steerer is possible on this model Scott Scale and if so, how it's done?

It’s as easy as getting a new headset or even half a headset(bottom cup) as already suggested for that frame. There might even be a reducer crown race on the fork which means you wouldnt even need a new headset as Suggested already too.

Your bike mechanic sounds........’.uninformed’

Edited by morneS555

What does the crown race look like on the straight steerer?

The straight steerer, on the left, has a flat race that had an open ballbearing. The replacement fork on the right has a chamfered race.post-123325-0-28622200-1572677750_thumb.jpg

The straight steerer, on the left, has a flat race that had an open ballbearing. The replacement fork on the right has a chamfered race.attachicon.gifForks 1.jpg

no need to replace bottom cap or bearing that straight steerer has a large crown race to fit in the tapered bearing. The new fork should fit as is or you might need a spacer underneath but that should fit as is.