Attakwas 2020

Warrenlee

The seeding is a total joke. Pro riders like Nico Bell and Matt Beers seeded in E. Wheel suck like a tick and I do it in 5 hours. Will need my E-bike for E batch. Seems like guys at SaSeeding cant change my batch. Gonna try dryland now.

once they produce their UCI licence at registration they'll get put in AA

But yes SASeeding is a joke!

Havent had a race registered in the last 3 years??? Im registered on their site as a Grand master and i have barely made the Sub-vet cat yet  :huh:   

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day Attakwas riders. Tell me which technical/ dangerous descents to look out for on the route. And any advice how to approach them?

The only one i can think of is at about +-60km into the race is a very rocky descent (just before the Spur Waterpoint) but its clearly marked.

Seems like guys at SaSeeding cant change my batch. Gonna try dryland now.

Tried Dryland, no joy, they'll bounce you back to SA Seeding and so it will go on. There is always some very good riders in the wrong batches, so ya I'll use them.

Guys stop worrying about Seeding Batches if you want to do a personal best time, after 6 Finisher medals the one thing that I've come to realize is that Attakwas is a solo effort if you want to do a PB. If I've taken this approach from my first event I would've achieved the goal of Sub 6 on the 1st attempt. 2019 I finally got the strategy right and bobs your uncle.

The only one i can think of is at about +-60km into the race is a very rocky descent (just before the Spur Waterpoint) but its clearly marked.

Thanks!

Thanks!

It's a nasty few 100 meters of rocky jeep track. The descent from the KOM is also a tricky rocky jeep track. But nothing too serious if you just take care, keep left and let the okes with putty for brains fly by on the right hand side 

Please excuse my rookie question here. What sort of tools are you looking at taking on the bike. Some guys Iv spoken to take enough tools to open a small workshop. Others take very little if anything at all. Whats you take on it? Im curious to see what the experienced guys like Skubarra and Dale have to say about it. You two okes in particular have been awesome sharing your knowledge and advice. So thanks in advance boys! You guys are legends! 

Please excuse my rookie question here. What sort of tools are you looking at taking on the bike. Some guys Iv spoken to take enough tools to open a small workshop. Others take very little if anything at all. Whats you take on it? Im curious to see what the experienced guys like Skubarra and Dale have to say about it. You two okes in particular have been awesome sharing your knowledge and advice. So thanks in advance boys! You guys are legends! 

To Camelbak or not to Camelbak? How far in time are the WP apart, Im hoping to do it in 7hrs so would imagine there arent any more than 2hrs? 2hrs I can do with 2 bottles provided it isnt too hot....

I tried the camel on a few training rides but the heat got to me bigtime. So bought a large topeak saddle pouch. I recon the two bottles between points should be okay. Im personally not too worried about that. 

To Camelbak or not to Camelbak? How far in time are the WP apart, Im hoping to do it in 7hrs so would imagine there arent any more than 2hrs? 2hrs I can do with 2 bottles provided it isnt too hot....

My philosophy - I ride with the same stuff on every long training ride, race & stage race.

And I'm not the type of oke who try to plan for every eventuality or who can fix anything on a bike with duct tape, spit & few sticks.

I just take along:

Multi-tool

Chain-tool & links

Plugs, 2 bombs & pump

This is enough to get me home on 99% of my rides. For the other 1% there is the wife or sweeper van (and just try again next year).

Guys stop worrying about Seeding Batches if you want to do a personal best time, after 6 Finisher medals the one thing that I've come to realize is that Attakwas is a solo effort if you want to do a PB. If I've taken this approach from my first event I would've achieved the goal of Sub 6 on the 1st attempt. 2019 I finally got the strategy right and bobs your uncle.

And the bonus part about starting at the back is not many people will be overtaking you!!!! :thumbup:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Edited by GAP

yr.no predicting heavy rain in the area for next Saturday  :eek:

I hope they get that one wrong!!

and extreme heat in the days leading up to it  :mellow:

Any advice on how to manage a wet weather Attakwas?

At least I won’t have to worry about drivetrain issues on the SS!

Why Why Why why???!!!

yr.no predicting heavy rain in the area for next Saturday  :eek:

I hope they get that one wrong!!