Safety / Self-defence gear on MTB

dannygirl

thought this was going to end in:

..........karate black belt?

no, isuzu fan belt

Hehe...nope....was and still is THE BEST bit of street fighting I have seen to date in real or on the screen....EVEN the two huge bouncers had no time to react and just let the okie walk out the door....in the words of the most famous villian....IMPPRESSIVE...most imppressive!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For cycling I don't think a baton is practical. The guys who test the whip make arguments against batons showing some police videos, they make some good points.

Learn from people that have experience in these situations.Like i tell my kids,Don't believe everything you see on Youtube.

Batons break bones in a life and death situation and don't provoke the criminal even more.The batons fit easily into your jersey pocket.

The one thing nobody has mentioned is situational awareness. It doesn't matter what you have - and it matters far more than what you don't have - it's the single most important factor. Being aware of what's happening and correctly reading the situation - and often, getting the heck out of there - is your most important tool. Don't get caught or cornered to start with. It's 99%+ of the equation.

Best comment   well said....what I should have done when I got stabbed multiply times in March year whilst out on a training run....I saw the lone okie sauntering down the road and had a sense that it COULD go south BUT against that I still went that way and as I passed him he jumped me...so yes I agree with you 100%....

Edited by Kenty

Hehe...nope....was and still is THE BEST bit of street fighting I have seen to date in real or on the screen....EVEN the two huge bouncers had no time to react and just let the okie walk out the door....in the words of the most famous villian....IMPPRESSIVE...most imppressive!!

Have you checked out the monkey fist key chain on Aliexpress? This seems similar to the weapon you describe, it is a one inch ball steel bearing in a paracord keychain.

Best comment well said....what I should have done when I got stabbed multiply times in March year whilst out on a training run....I saw the lone okie sauntering down the road and had a sense that it COULD go south BUT against that I still went that way and as I passed him he jumped me...so yes I agree with you 100%....

Yup. Trust your gut. Lot of the time it'll keep you safe. And if you've no other choice but to go past, eyeball the bastard aggressively and keep eyeballing him. Give him the message that you're watching him and you're ready to be aggro if you have to. It may or it may not work (specially with a tikkop) but most attackers want compliant targets, not people who may hurt them. Edited by MudLark

I've lost count of the number of times I turned around when cycling alone and just went a different way. A while back I saw two guys walking between the vineyards in a secluded spot near Paradyskloof, I turned around and went a different route up the road. Two days later I saw a Facebook post of a guy that was bike jacked there. Situational awareness really is key.

I'm not saying it was the same guys but, I try to not put myself in potentially risky situations. Same reason why I would commute from Brackenfell to Stellenbosch via Kuilsriver to avoid Kayamandi.

Unless you're Chuck Norris, you're never going to win in a knife fight against a tik kop. While you're on forums all day those guys are in the townships gangs fighting against each other. You'll be full of holes before you even realize it.

The 2 guys I fought off with my knife when they tried to car jack me in 2016 will disagree. But I guess they were not tik koppe.

You don't have to be Chuck Norris, you just have to be more competent in swinging your fists and your knife than the other guy and you will be fine.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I was involved in an incident with a taxi driver a few months ago. I let the situation escalate instead of walking/riding away which is what I should have done and advise wherever possible.

He came at me with a knobkerrie and I hit him very, very hard with a Colnago art decor. Rear triangle and skewer.

He went down hard and I cycled off - stupid I know and pretty out of character

No bicycles were harmed in this story but steel is real

Edited by Waynemol

i'm guessing if, like me, you had to google CQC and scroll past the Car-Quality Commision to find out what it actually means, then this thread is probably indicating that you should do more research before buying anything.

Apologies, close quarter combat. 

I was involved in an incident with a taxi driver a few months ago. I let the situation escalate instead of walking/riding away which is what I should have done and advise wherever possible.

He came at me with a knobkerrie and I hit him very very hard with a Colnago art decor. rear triangle and skewer.

He went done hard and I cycled off - stupid I know and pretty out of character

Exactly, when it happens it's basic fight or flight. If it's fight, you do what you have to with what you have...

Basic fight training is really worth doing. 

You would need to know to step in not away, get close and know where the fleshy spots are that are easy to get to and won't trap the blade.

Also that knives are for stabbing, not slashing.

You will see blood and you will do damage.

The bolded part is awfully wrong based on the krav maga training I did. Stab someone with your knife and you just lost your knife, because there's a good chance that the organic bits hold on to the blade surface and you fail to pull it out.

Slash, slash, slash, slash, slash and then slash some more. The more cuts you can inflict, the higher your chances of escaping with your life! Trying to target areas to slash is also tedious, just slash, even wildly, because if the wild slashing doesn't scare off the attacker, the massive cuts you inflict will disable them soon enough!

Most importantly, as mentioned by several people though, is whichever weapon you arm yourself with, you had better train with it frequently to retain the muscle memory!

Edited by Dirkitech

He came at me with a knobkerrie and I hit him very very hard with a Colnago art decor. rear triangle and skewer.

He went done hard and I cycled off - stupid I know and pretty out of character

Steel is real bro!

I had an incident a few years ago where a guy came at me with a knife after I gave him a solid PK for throwing a rock at my car. I came close to being stabbed and I could do nothing about it as I couldn't get close to him. I swore to never allow myself to be in that position again so I went home and made myself something  very similar to those tactical whips for each of my cars and for on the bike. The only difference is mine has dual thin cables with a lead ball sinker at the end and slides into a small thin aluminum tube. It allows me to keep an attacker at arms length away. I never want to be hit with it, it will be destructive.

Pictures of this please.....

The only difference is mine has dual thin cables with a lead ball sinker at the end and slides into a small thin aluminum tube. I

The lead on the end is what makes the difference.The same as the Monkey fist.

Just a cable isn't a weapon.Just ask any guys that got 6 of the best at school.

The bigger the bearing the better.

14273266688_712cb20a92_b.jpg