Self-service of entry-level Suntour coil shocks?

jnsmith

So after lurking here for quite a while, I've eventually pulled the trigger, gotten myself a (used) MTB after being a road-biker all my life, and while it's amazing in every way there is one small issue.

I'm advised that my shock needs servicing. It's a Suntour XCR 32 coil. There's plenty of info on Youtube on how to do it, but it seems that the tool to remove the caps on top of the stanchions (Suntour part number FAA122) can't be had for love or money commercially in this country.

Does anyone have experience servicing a Suntour shock by themselves? Have you made your own tool to remove those caps?

So after lurking here for quite a while, I've eventually pulled the trigger, gotten myself a (used) MTB after being a road-biker all my life, and while it's amazing in every way there is one small issue.

I'm advised that my shock needs servicing. It's a Suntour XCR 32 coil. There's plenty of info on Youtube on how to do it, but it seems that the tool to remove the caps on top of the stanchions (Suntour part number FAA122) can't be had for love or money commercially in this country.

Does anyone have experience servicing a Suntour shock by themselves? Have you made your own tool to remove those caps?

I have the tool for you....send me a PM and we can confirm that it is indeed the correct one. 

post-20015-0-98666500-1572878787_thumb.jpg

You can always take the lowers out if you do not have the tool to ensure that it's drained of any water and cleaned of any "grinding paste", my old forks coil spring started rusting, hideous noise...

Lots of time spent servicing mine. Its pretty straightforward. Get yourself a tub of grease and plenty of kitchen towel. Remove the springs on the dust seals. Remove the lowers by unscrewing the 2 hex bolts at the bottom, not all the way, then knock them with a hammer to release the inners. Remove said bolts and pull the lowers. Clean the inside of the lower legs using a longish prodding tool and some paper towel. Clean the stanchions of all the mucky grease. You can wash the insides of the lowers with some soapy water. Also remove and clean the dust seals. Make sure its dry properly and then pack some grease on the plastic sleeves. Pack plenty of grease on the lower half of the stanchions and a light coating on the top half. Reassemble and job done. Its a 10minute job once youve done it a couple of times. You can buy new seals from Dragonsport in Cape Town if need be. I rode mine for a good couple of years, not a great fork but if money is tight, as was the case for me, then doing this every 3 months or so should keep it operational for some time.

Edited by gemmerbal

Theres really no need to disassemble the uppers, unless you want to really give it a deep clean. Maybe once a year. I never bothered, all the critical parts are serviced when doing the above.

Thats probably easier said than done. I looked for a long time to find an air fork of which i could justify the cost. A new manitou markhor with straight steerer and 9mm qr will be around 5k from Iziko. Evobikes has a Rockshox for around the same price, however if like me the OP is riding an older bike, trying to justify that price tag can be difficult. I did see earlier there’s a Fox with straight steerer and qr for sale. However these dont sit for long. Better jump on it if it is still there!

You service those by throwing them in the bin and buying a second hand air fork here...

You can get a new Suntour Raidon from Dragonsport, but at that price point, the Rockshox or Markhor are far better options. I was actually keen on the Markhor as its quite a bit lighter as a result of their design: the brace being positioned where it is means the unbraced length of the fork legs are optimized thus it achieves great stiffness with thinner fork legs. Thats the philosophy behind their design, their words not mine. ????

Just watch out buying cheap forks in the classified, especially fox, most of the "good deals" have worn stansions.

As for the Suntour, just undo the 2 bolts at the bottom of the lowers, pull the lowers off clean and keep well greased. Not much else you can do, it's all pretty self contained. Moisture kills those stansions, see some nasty ones!

Another option is Aliexpress. Bought this fork last month, total cost with courier and import duties was around R2200, delivered in three weeks. It weighs 1.7 kgs, will fit to a bike and test it. So far it seems OK. It does look very good.

post-9767-0-20346000-1572938744_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Martin PJ

Another option is Aliexpress. Bought this fork last month, total cost with courier and import duties was around R2200, delivered in three weeks. It weighs 1.7 kgs, will fit to a bike and test it. So far it seems OK. It does look very good.

I'd rather have a Suntour, at least you can get spares and it's made by a reputable company with years of experience making forks. They're the biggest bicycle suspension fork manufacturer in the world.

What you have there is a R 2 200 disposable experiment.

Edited by droo