Newbie and the 94.7

OnlyFans

Just a question regarding the 94.7 .

I’m new to the whole road scene. I did the Tshwane classic 50km (the day after the WRC so you can imagine.. ) on a mountain bike with 2’25 tyres with little to no training ,felt like a drag near the end, had tummy cramps (ate those dam potatoes and micro greens maybe?) and I think my bike wasn’t set up well so probably wasn’t the best , did it in 02:05.

So my question is , would it not be wise to buy a late entry for the 94.7 ? . Would be the longest distance I would have done, I will get myself a road bike and set it up properly , sneak in a few training rides and find out what gave me those cramps . But as a newbie to the route/ride perhaps fellow hubbers can tell me how tough it can be? And what I should expect and how to do some last minute training.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to be a dick and rain on your parade, but don't enter this and race yourself into an early grave.

It's a tough race, especially if you're pushing yourself, compounded by the fact that you haven't put the training in.

Go ride the route this weekend and tell us how much fun it is.

Not being a dick no worries I need the honesty. I see there is also an option of a 60km, do you know what this route is like?

Not wanting to be a dick and rain on your parade, but don't enter this and race yourself into an early grave.

It's a tough race, especially if you're pushing yourself, compounded by the fact that you haven't put the training in.

Go ride the route this weekend and tell us how much fun it is.

You finished the Tshwane short route successfully, so it would be sensible to try the short version of 947.

Enjoy the day and then start you training for next year and come klap the full routes of each of the above.

You finished Tshwane in 2h on nobblies with little to no training.... That's decent, don't knock yourself before you've started.

Twice the distance for 94.7 will be tough. You'll start late and it will be a long day in the sun. Expect to be out for 5h to 5h30.

The full route will be a challenge. Doable, but expect to hurt. The stomach cramps would be my biggest worry, but you'll go out alot slower so might avoid them.

The safe bet for sure is to do the short route. It will probably be more enjoyable and not much longer than Tshwane. Pay more attention to your nutrition (take a few farbars or similar with you), 2 bottles, and stop at a waterpoint for a refill if you need.

As a newby you will start late when it is hot .It is a hard route and a very long day if you are unprepared .Do the short one and plan for next year .It is not easier on a road bike when you are unfit ,actually harder imo

As others have said, it not an easy day out especially if you have done little to no training. 

Buying a late entry at this stage and suffering will not make it an enjoyable day.  In fact you will hate yourself for being impulsive and spending all the money to enter.

Better to skip this year, and prepare for next year and do the training.  Do a few longer distance races throughout the year and look at your nutrition to avoid the cramps.  Am guessing the cramps came from stuffing your face with those potatoes and whatever else, where in fact you probably didn't need.

So do some long rides and try different nutrition options to see what works for you.  Farbars and some electrolytes in your drinks bottles should be a good start.

As a newby you will start late when it is hot .It is a hard route and a very long day if you are unprepared .Do the short one and plan for next year .It is not easier on a road bike when you are unfit ,actually harder imo

Weather predictions are for a fairly cool ride this year.

My few cents...As all indicated do not do it. I will however take this time and sort out your nutrition strategy. The cramps that you mentioned is that you did not have a nutrition strategy and as also mentioned you probably did not need the food.

Do training rides with the different gels/energy drinks with some food to see what works for you and stay with the combination. Never change anything at raceday as it will end up in failure...

Thanks man I will deff work on that and take note. Can you recommend anything on a budget? I’m terms on nutrition, As I’m not to keen to fork out for gels and bars every time I ride.

My few cents...As all indicated do not do it. I will however take this time and sort out your nutrition strategy. The cramps that you mentioned is that you did not have a nutrition strategy and as also mentioned you probably did not need the food.

Do training rides with the different gels/energy drinks with some food to see what works for you and stay with the combination. Never change anything at raceday as it will end up in failure...

Note ! .You cannot eat or buy or pray or wish yourself fit .Time on the saddle solves most cramps ,dizzyness,aches and pains and the lust for bling equipment  :whistling:

Thanks man I will deff work on that and take note. Can you recommend anything on a budget? I’m terms on nutrition, As I’m not to keen to fork out for gels and bars every time I ride.

Farbars and put Game powdered sports drink in your bottle.  Buy at Dischem, is usually the cheapest place.  

do more training first, you dont need gels and bars for every ride. Eat banana's / dates / dried fruit if you need the energy.

You can try the gels / bars on your longer training rides. There's tons to chose from, many local brands which mean the prices are not that bad. You can try Dischem to start with.

Re the 947, it kinda goes 2 ways and all depends how strong you are mentally.

My first 947 was in 2014, I was seriously overweight and unfit, started at like 10:30 and was on the road for 6h10. From there, my entire life changed. I got serious about getting fit and healthy again, lost 20kg and came back stronger.

2015 - broken collarbone so missed out

2016 - 3:04

2017 - 2:59

So yeah, it can be done but it will hurt and you may hate your bike for a few weeks after.

You possibly do not need gels, but bars are needed as they offer a bit more than gels IMO. Energy drinks are expensive and normally what I do is when I do longer rides 90 minutes + I use energy drinks with bars and food; below 90 minutes just water with a bar (sometimes not depending on the pace). With this strategy my enrgy drinks lasts longer as opposed to use them each and everytime you ride. Go to the Training and Nutrition tab and work through some of the topics on nutrition advice from the members. Experiment with some of those options (worked for me) to find the best strategy for you.

as the saying goes, it doesnt get easier you just get faster

The fitter you are the harder you push

Most importantly enjoy, you dont want to have a 6 hour ride and say Im done with this ***