Newbie and the 94.7

OnlyFans

Farbars and put Game powdered sports drink in your bottle.  Buy at Dischem, is usually the cheapest place.  

:thumbup:

Powerade/Energade concentrate works for me, lasts a good couple of events at a fraction of the cost of the USN products.

For an event:

2 Far Bars + 2 Fast Bars + 2 Full bottles on the bike. If you are not racing to beat a PR, stop at the water points and replenish the bars that you have consumed during the race, thus reducing your nutrition cost for the event.

You are looking at spending R650 for a 947 entry, the cost of a couple of bars for the event will cost you less than a meal at Steers... which is peanuts in the bigger picture. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You ate too little during the event - it caused a gas build up in your stomach (gastric dump).

This left you feeling bloated along with cramps. If you want to do longish rides you need to increase your fuel intake (food).

You can experiment with whatever works for you but here's a few options:

• Peanut butter and jam / syrup sandwich
  • Peanut bar
  • Fast / Far bar
  • Droë wors
  • Biltong
  • Salami
  • Protein balls - Checkers
  • Fruit (in any form that works - balls, sticks, dried, fresh)
  • Biscuits
  • Nuts

Then about the 94.7 - you'll be able to finish, I have seen plenty people with only 2 weeks worth of training in the legs do it and finish. But, with that being said, the one lady who trained or only 2 weeks prior to the 2017 race finished it (on a road bike) in over 07 hours. Also bear in mind that she did the original direction not the new one that got introduced in 2018. 

The new route has 1000m of climbing within the first 40km - this will be tough. 

So to sum it up: get your diet on the bike sorted and if you feel keen to sit out in the sun for a few hours then by all means, feel free to enter  :thumbup:.

You ate too little during the event - it caused a gas build up in your stomach (gastric dump).

This left you feeling bloated along with cramps. If you want to do longish rides you need to increase your fuel intake (food).

• Peanut bar
  • Fast / Far bar
  • Droë wors
  • Biltong
  • Salami
  • Biscuits
  • Nuts

Then about the 94.7 - you'll be able to finish, I have seen plenty people with only 2 weeks worth of training in the legs do it and finish. But, with that being said, the one lady who trained or only 2 weeks prior to the 2017 race finished it (on a road bike) in over 07 hours. Also bear in mind that she did the original direction not the new one that got introduced in 2018. 

So to sum it up: get your diet on the bike sorted and if you feel keen to sit out in the sun for a few hours then by all means, feel free to enter  :thumbup:.

what he said regarding nutrition,

but dont eat a lot at a time, eat little bits more often.

Another suggestion to try would be rice cakes. I've recently started experimenting with them and they work for me.

I often struggle with the bloated crampy stomach on longer rides where the only intake other than fluids was gels.

• Peanut bar
  • Fast / Far bar
  • Droë wors
  • Biltong
  • Salami
  • Biscuits
  • Nuts

+1

Enjoy the day out

Stop at all the water points, get a massage and eat something.

It will be a long day on the bike but if you pace yourself it will be a lekker day on the bike.

With the amount of training I have done the last three months I am in for a 4hour ride

Note ! .You cannot eat or buy or pray or wish yourself fit .Time on the saddle solves most cramps ,dizzyness,aches and pains and the lust for bling equipment :whistling:

To good not to steal and share, hope you don't mind [emoji41]

Dooooo it! 

Listen to Robert on the nutrition. 

If you're prepared to buy a road bike and get it set up properly (before this weekend, and by a professional bike fitment dude, not just at the shop) - the difference will be significant. 

That with some decent fueling and you'll be looking closer to 4 hours, not 6. 

1st long ride has to come sometime anyway, evidently you're healthy and fit enough to get the bike around. 
No better opportunity for a first long ride, than a day with full road closure, full gees and well stocked water points. 

If you do it, just shout here or PM for details of bike fitment guys. 
Good luck, have fun :) 

Dooooo it! 

If you're prepared to buy a road bike and get it set up properly (before this weekend, and by a professional bike fitment dude, not just at the shop) - the difference will be significant. 

1st long ride has to come sometime anyway, evidently you're healthy and fit enough to get the bike around. 

No better opportunity for a first long ride, than a day with full road closure, full gees and well stocked water points. 

I love it when differing opinions come on board, especially one like this.  :thumbup:

- Get yourself prepped for the worst, both mentally and with regards to nutrition and hardware.

- Listen to your body.

You might just enjoy a long leisurely ride around JHB with no cars in sight. :clap:

Almost everyone on here would have had to do the "step-up" to a long race being under prepared. Heck, I was dumb enough to donate a pint of blood the week before my first ever 947.... easy to remember now to NOT do THAT again...

In the same breath, the 60km will be enough of a challenge to tick the experience box.

I would still lean towards doing the shorter option this year if I was the OP.

I rate you do it and I will set the bar for you to beat. My first 947 was in 2014 and I finished after 8 hours and 34 minutes of walking and swearing as I pushed my MTB up many of the hills.

This was the worst day of my life but since then I have dropped my times like a stone and getting closer each year to the sub 3 hour mark (not happening this year due to mainly focusing on Triathlon and Running).

Follow Robert's eating plan and you will be fine. 

Enjoy the ride

It is not easier on a road bike when you are unfit ,actually harder imo

This. I did my first argus on a borrowed road bike and it was absolute torture. If you aren't used to the position it will be a VERY long day and no bike fit in the world will save you from the agony.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Eat normal food for breakfast .Game in the bottes and bananas along the route and the odd Coke when avaliable .USN crampblock work if you take 5 tabs at a time .Yes i have tried it and it works .One bottel,one banana every 40minutes is enough for my 100kg frame 

Thanks for that man. But thinking of dropping down to the 50/60km . And next year kick it up to the big one!

Dooooo it!

Thanks man I will deff work on that and take note. Can you recommend anything on a budget? I’m terms on nutrition, As I’m not to keen to fork out for gels and bars every time I ride.

On a typical race that lasts 2:30 i usually take the following, I eat oats and coffee 1:30 before the time. take 500ml energy drink before race. Then take 2 bottles, one with water the other with energy.just dont use energade, sugar water will be better. I buy what is on special at dischem (usually last me the whole season as i only take it for Loong training rides that is + 3-4hrs) as my stomach can stand all the stuff. I dont eat on the race, time do digest takes too long. and one energy gel for emergency bonk (@80km or so).

Thanks for that man. But thinking of dropping down to the 50/60km . And next year kick it up to the big one!

Lekker. Let us know your eventual decision and how it pans out. 

Then go take the leap, get a road bike, get it properly fitted and we'll look for the post-Argus race report next year  :thumbup:

On a side note.  The Pretoria race is in my opinion relatively flat compared to the 94.7.  There is actually no flat stretches on the 94.7.  So you are always going either downhill or up.  Prep yourself for that mentally.