XT 12 speed vs Sram 12spd

Apemanscolony

Ok, i prob missed a few discussions on this topic, but what is people view?

For both options i will either need to get a Microslpine Hub, or XD driver for the Sram...

I like Shimano...but people say stay away??

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the look of the Shimano, but there are not that many hubs that are microspline compatible. AFAIK the list is DT, Mavic, industry nine, fulcrum, with hope soon to come. Also you may sukkel to find most of them except DT. This is a big issue/pain in the #ss to me. 

Edited by Knersboy

I really like the look of the Shimano, but there are not that many hubs that are microspline compatible. AFAIK the list is DT, Mavic, industry nine, fulcrum, with hope soon to come. Also you may sukkel to find most of them except DT. This is a big issue/pain in the #ss to me. 

Hope should be readily available here around mid-april , maybe even in march if you're shopping off-shore

my shimano 12 spd upgrade is booked 

There's nothing wrong with Shimano the only thing is the mircospline is only currently available on DT SWISS and Shimano hubs. Shimano looks better to me the derailleur looks smaller or stands out less either way less chance of catching it on something.

Between Sram and Shimano has always been personal preference. The guys who love Sram will say Shimano is no good and same other way around.

If I had to go 12 and you could fit a mircospline hub I would go with Shimano I think replacing parts is just cheaper or better quality if compared to same price Sram.

Question,

how compatible is the Shimano 12 speed derailleur and chain with other 12 speed Cassettes.

And how compatible is Shimano Cassette with other 12 speed groupsets

The impression I get is that Sram works well with other 12 speed cassettes.

Question,

how compatible is the Shimano 12 speed derailleur and chain with other 12 speed Cassettes.

The impression I get is that Sram works well with other 12 speed

As I understand it you can use other 12 speed cassettes with Shimano 12 speed, but not the chain. 

To me the advantage of Shimano 12 speed is Hyperglide+, that benefit will be lost should you go with another cassette. Also don’t think conventional narrow wide chainrings are compatible with the chain, although often in practice these OEM announced incompatibilities are not really a problem. 

I would, however, go full shabang with Shimano if I chose it as my 12 speed option, and I currently ride with a 2x11 SRAM Shimano mix in my drive train (SRAM shifters and derailleur, Shimano cassette). 

Question,

The impression I get is that Sram works well with other 12 speed cassettes.

Upgraded to Shimano XT 12 from XT 11 but used the Sunrace cassette (11 - 50) on a standard Shimano free body. Works really well. When Hope has a microspline free body i'll upgrade to the Shimano cassette.

My dad upgraded from GX to XTR on the GX cassette, also works very well.

Don't know any reasons why you would want to avoid it.

I don't seee the Shimano components lasting as long as the XX1 stuff

the price difference is so large that you can replace whatever goes quickly. From evobike XTR upgrade kit R12K, XX1 upgrade kit R20K. a new XTR 10 - 51 Cassette is R5700.

Just done the switch from GX to XTR shifter and derailleur; using the SRAM cassette until I new microspline hubs come out to replace current Roval XD.

Very happy with the setup and prefer Shimano to SRAM. Not fair to compare xtr to GX...the GX wasn't playing nice though.

What I didn't initially consider was the shifter adaptor as I also changed brakes. Had to order a Shimano adaptor for the Hope brakes. Obviously not an issue if brakes are Shimano.

Edited by keithbe

Just done the switch from GX to XTR shifter and derailleur; using the SRAM cassette until I new microspline hubs come out to replace current Roval XD.

Very happy with the setup and prefer Shimano to SRAM. Not fair to compare xtr to GX...the GX wasn't playing nice though.

What I didn't initially consider was the shifter adaptor as I also changed brakes. Had to order a Shimano adaptor for the Hope brakes. Obviously not an issue if brakes are Shimano.

I’m sure if you switched from GX to XX1 you would be equally happy. How can people possibly compare GX with XTR

I’m sure if you switched from GX to XX1 you would be equally happy. How can people possibly compare GX with XTR

There always has to be one. XTR doesn't cost anything near XX1 (or XO1 for that matter). Besides I did state it's not fair to compare GX and XTR.

He does make that disclaimer in his own post.

R12k (XTR M9100 upgrade kit) vs R16K (XO1 trigger upgrade kit) if you compare apples with apples

I thought that XT and XO1 were comparable?

I am running XX1 Eagle coming from 11 speed XTR. I still miss the shifting options of XTR and the cost.