Carbon brake performance

Dexter-morgan

Do you guys have any tips on Carbon rim brakes, I have Swissstop pads on Token wheels and the braking is really bad, Tips please.

Thanks, I have just purchased Cork pads from CWC, on their special, if the performance does not improved, I will get the Token ones, Thanks for the input so far.

Have you reached out to "Token Cycling SA"  (tokencycling.co.za) to hear what their advice is?

I will try, I am just not sure if I am expecting too much from carbon brakes.

I will try, I am just not sure if I am expecting too much from carbon brakes.

Well you say really bad... carbon breaks are not as good as alloy but they are really not that bad. You still need to feel confident in the breaking. I am using Swisstop on my chinese Ican wheels and never felt like it was poor and wasn't going to stop me.

Another thing to check is your brake cables, if old and strectched it will just make things worse.

Edited by Veebee

When I got my chinese carbon wheels I used the cork pads that came with the wheels. They worked alright, until I did a race in the rain and basically had no brakes. After that experience I switched to Swissstop Yellow Kings and it was like night and day. The modulation was similar to alloy but you can expect the stopping power to be the same.

Bottom line, I would be very surprised if going to cork pads improves your experience with carbon braking surfaces.

I agree about cleaning the braking surface with isopropyl, but also check that your pads havent glasses over. If they have just run a sharp blade along the surface. I avoid sandpaper as it can leave fragments behind

When I got my chinese carbon wheels I used the cork pads that came with the wheels. They worked alright, until I did a race in the rain and basically had no brakes. After that experience I switched to Swissstop Yellow Kings and it was like night and day. The modulation was similar to alloy but you can expect the stopping power to be the same.

Bottom line, I would be very surprised if going to cork pads improves your experience with carbon braking surfaces.

I agree about cleaning the braking surface with isopropyl, but also check that your pads havent glasses over. If they have just run a sharp blade along the surface. I avoid sandpaper as it can leave fragments behind

the yellow Swiss stop pads are superb. But they evaporate. R1000 per month for brake pads isn't in my budget when I have to maintain a MTB, and kids sports and their equipment too.

Cork pads are in my brake pad holders for training and racing in the dry. If it threatens to be wet then in go the Swissstop yellow King pads.

the black Prince is a very hard pad and will wear your carbon rims.

PS: Do not expect the carbon rim to have the same bite when the brakes are applied as an alloy rim with appropriate brake pad will. Carbon is a much more progressive braking experience and also requires a different braking technique