Cape Town: Best road rides when SE is blowing?

ZeroPlay

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Park in Moulie Point area. Ride along Victoria to the top of Landudno or Chappies. The area between seapoint and Camps is generally quite wind free and further south is actually quite protected coz you are close to the bushes.

Then the wind is behind you on the way back. Watch the cross winds close to the hotel. Gulp!

*disclaimer. I live in HB so I do the opposite of this

If it's REALLY blowing then it's a spinning class or a Rouvy session.

While the rest of us go home cos it was cancelled?

109km around the peninsula starting in town and finishing at green point. Then a few more minutes somewhere else to make up 3hrs................. :whistling:

What's your favourite weekend (3hr) ride in Cape Town when the South Easter is blowing? 

Straight into the SE. Muizenberg, Fish Hoek, then things hot up in glen Cairn. 600W for 7min

then onto Cape Point and let the wind blow me to Ocean View.

Chappies is interesting and Suikerbossie the wind always blows in your face. then through to Town and back to s/burbs via M4.

Superb!

Beats a windless day in Gauteng anyday

That kind of training will get you to the singletrack first for sure

Straight into the SE. Muizenberg, Fish Hoek, then things hot up in glen Cairn. 600W for 7min

Chappies is interesting and Suikerbossie the wind always blows in your face. then through to Town and back to s/burbs via M4.

Superb!

Superb!

With the Doctor howling, going over OKW is pretty much a circus act: best bring your best track stand abilities when taking that last right hander hairpin. I think that and the uber dangerous windtunnels along seapoint beach road are the sketchiest rides during a raging SE'r

Remind me of my rides back in the 80's. We stayed in the Northern 'burbs and my ouma stayed in the Strand.  So on a Sunday afternoon, switch off brain and suffer on that flat road into the SE for a cup of coffee. 

Then hoping for a tailwind back.

There were some very cruel days where the wind turned during the kuier into a NW, and it was suffering both ways!!!

Superb!

Can't argue there. Currently all the joburgers are posting pictures of riding through purple roads from the jacarandas and that's the best they got. "Your" scenery is some of the best in the world, especially that route you mention.

Park in Moulie Point area. Ride along Victoria to the top of Landudno or Chappies. The area between seapoint and Camps is generally quite wind free and further south is actually quite protected coz you are close to the bushes.

Then the wind is behind you on the way back. Watch the cross winds close to the hotel. Gulp!

*disclaimer. I live in HB so I do the opposite of this

If it's REALLY blowing then it's a spinning class or a Rouvy session.

Lost my front wheel when it got blown into the gutter on that uphill section from Oudekraal - closely followed by my dignity as I crumpled into the yellow lane.

Can't argue there. Currently all the joburgers are posting pictures of riding through purple roads from the jacarandas and that's the best they got. "Your" scenery is some of the best in the world, especially that route you mention.

As much as I agree with you, we also have our own beauty up here.

Week before last I was up and down the "koppie" there in Linksfield. Fantastic views of teh city. 

Last week I was sweating my way around SBR and that also has some fantastic scenery.