SRAM GX Power Meter Options ?

MudLark

Hi guys,

I have a 4iii "left side only" Ultegra power meter on my road bike, which works and meets my needs just great. My mountain bike though is SRAM GX. I'm trying to figure out what my options are for a power meter on the mountain bike… But it's a bit confusing to say the least. What are the livable options out there (bearing in mind I don't exactly want to spring R20k on a power meter). I know 4iii are planning on releasing a "left side only" option for SRAM as well but exactly when this will happen is anybody's guess right now.

Any advice and input much appreciated…

What crank do you have ? GXP or BB30 or Dub?

Stages, left side only should work. If you have dub or bb30 then you get the stages carbon 30 and if you have gxp then you get the GXP Stages.

unless you want to get a new crank that is about your only option.

For BB30 and DUB you will need a spindle also

Thanks Quagga. I actually have no clue :oops:  because I don't know zat about the different cranks. But the Trek factory spec sheet says that what I have is "SRAM Stylo Carbon Eagle, 32T" and the BB is PF92. And sure enough, it looks like this: https://www.evobikes.co.za/sram-stylo-carbon-dub-175mm-crank.html, though I think its maybe 172 (I'll have to check).

Does this help?

SRAM Stylo Carbon Eagle, 32T

Hi guys,

I have a 4iii "left side only" Ultegra power meter on my road bike, which works and meets my needs just great. My mountain bike though is SRAM GX. I'm trying to figure out what my options are for a power meter on the mountain bike… But it's a bit confusing to say the least. What are the livable options out there (bearing in mind I don't exactly want to spring R20k on a power meter). I know 4iii are planning on releasing a "left side only" option for SRAM as well but exactly when this will happen is anybody's guess right now.

Any advice and input much appreciated…

Power2Max SRAm 104 BCD - pricing from R11 995.00. no need to change BB's or cranks. 

and you get a very accurate total power reading. Maybe that's not so important for MTB but my unit has been on since April and not missed a Watt.

No need for a new axle either. Just remove the direct mount chainring and fit your favourite 104bcd chainring. and the p2m assembly to the crank.

I'm not sure if the software caters for oval chainrings yet but a unit that measures total power is going to be more accurate than a left side only unit with an oval ring.

If round rings are your preference then there's no looking back

and you get a very accurate total power reading. Maybe that's not so important for MTB but my unit has been on since April and not missed a Watt.

No need for a new axle either. Just remove the direct mount chainring and fit your favourite 104bcd chainring. and the p2m assembly to the crank.

I'm not sure if the software caters for oval chainrings yet but a unit that measures total power is going to be more accurate than a left side only unit with an oval ring.

If round rings are your preference then there's no looking back

p2m units accommodate oval rings without any problems due to the rate as which they sample.

Oval and round rings work just fine on p2m units. 

p2m units accommodate oval rings without any problems due to the rate as which they sample.

Oval and round rings work just fine on p2m units.

That is good news for the oval heads :)

• 4 months later...

And great back-up by these guys too!

VERY different experience from a few of us. Bought 5 between mates..

WRT local back up, Andrew completely non responsive. My cousin eventually tracked down his wife's work phone number after he went quiet with the money. I had to start CC'ing global in mails to get a response from him.

WRT product, 2 of the 3 mtb power meters that we bought cracked in the EXACT same place on the battery housing. They blamed my mechanic for over torquing the screw, but their new design changed this thing specifically. Local wouldn't stand by the product, global would t stand by the product and in the end I had to claim from my own insurance and pay excess.

Bad product experience (it happens) but terrible support. I'm definitely never getting another P2M with all the other quality product on the market these days.

Just my 2c. Hope that other hubbers learn from my mistake.

sorry to hear about your bad experience. Mines been the exact opposite. Needed a battery cover so I called and since they were coming to Cape Town 2 weeks later they offered to bring it along. Two weeks of riding without power, and just HR and I didn't miss the PM. But they supplied on time and I get what I needed.

I'll be getting a pair of Favero Assioma's from them next

VERY different experience from a few of us. Bought 5 between mates..

WRT local back up, Andrew completely non responsive. My cousin eventually tracked down his wife's work phone number after he went quiet with the money. I had to start CC'ing global in mails to get a response from him.

WRT product, 2 of the 3 mtb power meters that we bought cracked in the EXACT same place on the battery housing. They blamed my mechanic for over torquing the screw, but their new design changed this thing specifically. Local wouldn't stand by the product, global would t stand by the product and in the end I had to claim from my own insurance and pay excess.

Bad product experience (it happens) but terrible support. I'm definitely never getting another P2M with all the other quality product on the market these days.

Just my 2c. Hope that other hubbers learn from my mistake.

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with the product, since BPT has taken over the brand we have and will continue to work hard on improving the power2max market share and offering customers the support the deserve. The newer NG and NGeco models have had significant improvements over previous models with almost zero manufacturing defects. We have further worked with p2m Germany to offer customers who do experience product failures which are not covered by warranty a significant discount through a crash replacement program. This is assessed on a case by case base.