Saddle Theory?

saklx650c

Hi all, I am curious about all the different options to choose from when it comes to mtb saddles (I am sure there are hundred's in the road catergory as well).  I am aware of the issue for men ito prostrate blood circulation but that is about as far as it goes.  When i look at buying a saddle i get confused because there are saddles that have channels running the entire length of the saddle, others only have a small channel/depression at the fat end of the sadlle, some have nothing. Others have a channel thing that is totally open etc.  So my dilema is, as with most things today, the mulitude of options to choose from - as a mate of mine says, " the only limitation is on how much you want to spend".  So fellow hubbers - you may now enlightment me. Thanks    

You have to try the one that works for you !

Shops offer test saddles to allow you to try a few different options, but remember 1 or 2 rides isnt going to give you the answers you need. Also you need to get your sitbones measured so you know what width to get... 133/143/145/155 etc

Also in your lifetime of cycling, you will go through a few different saddles that you may think works best. Can become costly but imo its the only proper way to do it.

Saddles are personal. Consensus won't make you comfortable.

Best way to start, IMO, is go to your local specialized dealer, with bike shorts on, and use their assometer. The width is most important. Shape is normally decided by your flexibility. Channel is personal preference.

This should give you a close enough starting point, ask them for some test saddles, and try a couple out in the range.

Also don't be shy to go even wider than the assometer recommended.

Again, this is just a start point. You could also have a preference that completely ignores common ideas, so if you're uncomfortable, something is probably wrong and you should keep looking.

my 2c is train your bum as much as you train your legs.

I did away with using padded shorts on the indoor trainer and outdoors(mtb) unless it is a 70+ km ride I just wear tri shorts. Been 2 years on and really have 0 issues with saddles, sore sitbones or anything like that. 

my 2c is train your bum as much as you train your legs.

I did away with using padded shorts on the indoor trainer and outdoors(mtb) unless it is a 70+ km ride I just wear tri shorts. Been 2 years on and really have 0 issues with saddles, sore sitbones or anything like that. 

while this may work, I guess you have to find the correct saddle first and then go on to being brave [or stupid]

to echo others, it's personal, so it doesn't matter what it is or what it looks like, if it works for you, that's perfect.

I rub small amounts of dubbin on my saddle its a lekker comfortable cheapy from china ..my china...

The dubbin??...I like to slide on my saddle when riding trails....

The stronger your core is ,the less saddle issues you will have .Many factors influence saddles choices and they change over time .Riders that stand and cycle a lot will have less saddle issues .High torque riders will do better than sit and spin or high cadence riders .Bike setup as well as saddle setup also really important 

Edited by arendoog

post-136415-0-88710400-1572853396_thumb.jpg

My Chinese saddle...super comfy , for me that is , ...and set me back a whole 178 SA ronds including postage....

Sorry...cant seem to load a pic...BUT here it is on my Alice...

post-136415-0-82585100-1573112999.jpg

Edited by Kenty

Saddles are personal. Consensus won't make you comfortable.

Best way to start, IMO, is go to your local specialized dealer, with bike shorts on, and use their assometer. The width is most important. Shape is normally decided by your flexibility. Channel is personal preference.

This should give you a close enough starting point, ask them for some test saddles, and try a couple out in the range.

Also don't be shy to go even wider than the assometer recommended.

Again, this is just a start point. You could also have a preference that completely ignores common ideas, so if you're uncomfortable, something is probably wrong and you should keep looking.

this plus your bike setup/riding position plays a role.

When I had my bike setup done the guy put pressure pad on the saddle to see where my pressure points were.

From there he was able to measure my sit bone and recommend and saddle width.

The thing is, I needed a shorter stem too, and we setup the saddle for the short reach. This then meant whilst I waited for the short stem the saddle was VERY uncomfortable, the moment the shorter stem when in the saddle discomfort all but disappeared.

So in a long winded way what I'm saying is I echo Guy but add that bike setup will also play a role.

My 2c, dont get a saddle with lots of padding, your sit bones compress the padding and the padding between your sit bones pushes where you dont want it to.

Get your bum used to a thin padded saddle

Thanks for all the replys.  So the main issue is more about comfort than about 'protecting' the prostrate. I thought that is what all those different cut outs and channels were about.  

SQ Lab has a unique take on saddles. Zero pressure on the perineum, only the sit bones in contact with the saddle. I highly recommend giving them a look via the SA distributor GPM Sports