Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

Hi all, wanted to just share a heads up for cyclists on the spruit near alberts farm. A colleague was held up at gunpoint this morning. Garmin watch was taken, fortunately nothing else.

I believe it was between 6 and 7, this is the location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/26%C2%B008'51.7%22S+28%C2%B000'00.5%22E/@-26.1476944,27.9995917,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-26.1476888!4d28.000147

was assisted by other cyclists shortly after the incident.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a few recent issues within 100m of that spot. Typically more towards the old model boat club(?). I can only imagine it is the same operator.

Did you report it to the police at all? and if you haven't please would you.

Flip I ride that so often.............. :eek:

I assume these pieces of sh#t are sitting in a car right next to that trail and waiting...........will have to keep my eyes peeled !!!

F@#KEN BASTARDS

Edited by coppi

I used to love the Spruit - it had a nice combination of everything, some really fast sections and you could cover a huge distance if you wanted to, but imagine finding yourself facing the hot end of a gun while you're out on your morning ride?? **** that for a game of soldiers.

The Spruit is a pretty predictable route as far as thieves are concerned. If they see a cyclist pass point A now, they can say with quite a bit of certainty when that cyclist will pass point B.

Edited by Bonus

So the robber took the watch and left the bike? Weird!

Thankfully no injuries - things can be replaced :thumbup:

Maybe he was a runner or a swimmer and doesn’t like cycling?? [emoji23]

Your pin is some distance away from Alberts Farm. Not sure what that section is called.

Can someone please advise what that area is called.

Good to hear he is okay

So the robber took the watch and left the bike? Weird! 

Thankfully no injuries - things can be replaced  :thumbup:

Saddest comment in the thread. We should not be grateful that there were no injuries, we should not just be able to replace things.

This cr@p should just not happen, we should be safe.

We should be safe. We definitely aren't. To avoid being a statistic citizens need to accept that violent crime is a reality in SA. (I've been on the receiving end of a bike jacking)

I need to make it clear that I don't condone violent crime. I'd rather we all work towards not becoming a victim.

Saddest comment in the thread. We should not be grateful that there were no injuries, we should not just be able to replace things.

This cr@p should just not happen, we should be safe.

Edited by keithbe

Your pin is some distance away from Alberts Farm. Not sure what that section is called.

Can someone please advise what that area is called.

Good to hear he is okay

on Strava the segment is called "McKenzie grass" - park section next to John Mackenzie drive. The area is Emmarentia. Park next to the Roosevelt Park mashie course.

I went through there yesterday around 9h30  :eek:

I often ride that section on my "pat malone"  :eek:  Wont be venturing there again. Seems like nowhere is safe anymore. I considered Spruit one the safest... 

If I’m not mistaken that’s by that old JUMA “bridge” section through the reeds and then those trees? Haven’t ridden that in years because there used to be a lot of vagrants living there. So I only ride next to the road on other side, but not sure that’s much safer. At minimum don’t ride alone, it’s sad but reality