Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I’m not mistaken that’s by that old JUMA “bridge” section through the reeds and then those trees? Haven’t ridden that in years because there used to be a lot of vagrants living there. So I only ride next to the road on other side, but not sure that’s much safer. At minimum don’t ride alone, it’s sad but reality

Same here. It’s a pity tho because that reed tunnel is lekker.

Dont ride alone.  The end.

I used to love the Spruit - it had a nice combination of everything, some really fast sections and you could cover a huge distance if you wanted to, but imagine finding yourself facing the hot end of a gun while you're out on your morning ride?? **** that for a game of soldiers.

The Spruit is a pretty predictable route as far as thieves are concerned. If they see a cyclist pass point A now, they can say with quite a bit of certainty when that cyclist will pass point B.

Thats where Botswana was so unreal.200 m from my backdoor I was on single track and I was on my own

Depends upon where in Bots. Acquaintance of mine moved to Francistown some years back (about 7 I guess) and found the crime very bad. He was back in Johannesburg pretty quickly. But on the whole you'd be right.

To add to the spruit.

Two friends new being Wayne(Kiwi) from Rapide got held up at gun and knife point this morning closer to Emmarentia

Dam this morning.

So it seems like spruit is going through the less popular phase that it did a few years ago.

Unless the authorities can blitz the place again.

Just so sad.

To add to the spruit.

Two friends new being Wayne(Kiwi) from Rapide got held up at gun and knife point this morning closer to Emmarentia

Dam this morning.

So it seems like spruit is going through the less popular phase that it did a few years ago.

Unless the authorities can blitz the place again.

Just so sad.

Hi Cotic, do you have more details on the location? 

Edited by cat-i

Apparently closer to the emmarentia dam

So may be the same guys doing Alberts farm.

One guy had a gun but it fell apart when the guy breached a round.

But they had knives and also peppers prayed the two cyclists.

Apparently closer to the emmarentia dam

So may be the same guys doing Alberts farm.

One guy had a gun but it fell apart when the guy breached a round.

But they had knives and also peppers prayed the two cyclists.

Geeez, on a Saturday morning! It's a busy route ...

Crazy. So even riding in pairs won't help you?

I wonder what the safe group size is for riding in a recreational park in the Jo'burg suburbs nowadays?

Crazy. So even riding in pairs won't help you?

I wonder what the safe group size is for riding in a recreational park in the Jo'burg suburbs nowadays?

Probably about 300 with two armed drones in the air!  Ah sorry you can't shoot criminals in SA anymore they have more rights than victims.

Zero consequence for these actions equals lawless society