Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

Sure

But do/will the police actually do that? and follow up..etc?

I think they will. This is quite high profile. I remember a few years ago there was a guy doing bike jackings on the other side of Pick n Pay. He was caught and got more than 10 years if I recall.

All the guys that were attacked need to go ID this scum and make the case watertight.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand if he was dead he could not be questioned about who his mate was, where they are based and who they sell things to.

So, pleased he is not dead

Truthfully I never thought of it that way. Lets hope that the information is gathered. 

On the other hand if he was dead he could not be questioned about who his mate was, where they are based and who they sell things to.

So, pleased he is not dead

Truthfully I never thought of it that way. Lets hope that the information is gathered. 

I just hope he got injured so badly, that he will have a reminder of it for the rest of his cursed life.

Every time he moves, he must be reminded of what the cause of his injuries are, and why.

One can hope for a just outcome, but then as highlighted by Gummibear a few pages back where some joggers were mugged, police followed up and arrested the perps in possession of stolen goods only for NPA not to follow through with prosecution and release them.  

One can hope for a just outcome, but then as highlighted by Gummibear a few pages back where some joggers were mugged, police followed up and arrested the perps in possession of stolen goods only for NPA not to follow through with prosecution and release them.  

Pie in the sky. There is no such thing as a just outcome in ZA anymore

Hi All

Quick question, in light of all that has happened on the Spruit, how safe is it to cycle Northern Farms alone?

I don't think it is an issue, I always cycle alone at NF.  As is the case with riding anywhere else in SA be vigilant, if you see someone on the trails that is not one of the "guards" (they always wear orange high viz jackets), maybe turn around and report them as soon as possible. 

Obviously on Saturday and Sunday morning there is a lot more people and you never really feel alone.  I went to cycle there on Sunday afternoon at 16:00, didn't have a lot of time so just did a very quick blue route and didn't feel unsafe.

They are open in the week from this week - there should be a few people on the trails as many is already on holiday and didn't go away for the holidays

I don't think it is an issue, I always cycle alone at NF.  As is the case with riding anywhere else in SA be vigilant, if you see someone on the trails that is not one of the "guards" (they always wear orange high viz jackets), maybe turn around and report them as soon as possible. 

I always gave a nod and a hello to the gaurds as I passes them. 

You have a lot more faith in our policing and judiciary than I do. I would prefer him dead!

Remember when the violent Melville bikejackers got caught, along with many R1,000s of bikes, after a HUGE effort by the community, ratepayers, security, SAPS.........................

..............................................and the Newlands Mag Court gave them each R500 spot fines?

Hi All

Quick question, in light of all that has happened on the Spruit, how safe is it to cycle Northern Farms alone?

There was a post recently of an incident at northern farms...

Thing is, its SA so really there isn't any safe places left in this country. Just be more alert and when you out there

• 2 weeks later...

HI there, anyone knows if there was any further incidents in the Spruit after the shooting that injured one of the attackers? Safe to ride again?

• 1 month later...

Was riding along river Rd next to the spruit this morning, saw a guy riding a Mtb on the spruit with his phone on a handlebar bracket, I couldnt help thinking that he was actually almost making himself a target, he was riding on his own too.

Not blaming the prospective victim here but surely it wont help to put phones and stuff on display. Just a thought.

• 6 months later...

I saw there were two incidents in Delta Park this week.

One where three guys robed a guy of his bike at knife point and one where two guys; one with a knife and one with a fire arm robbed a group of people and an old lady.

Be careful out there.

I saw there were two incidents in Delta Park this week.

One where three guys robed a guy of his bike at knife point and one where two guys; one with a knife and one with a fire arm robbed a group of people and an old lady.

Be careful out there.

100% sure these are all related. Ample time to stalk prey in that park and it's very obvious which paths commuters take. 

All you need to do is hang out for a bit and you'll find an easy target.