Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I need to ride the spruit, I’m only one short of double figures as far as removing scum from the world goes; sounds like a party.

You and me bud.

But it's not worth our removal from society in the greater scheme

Substitute riding with “camping”...  ;)

You and me bud.
But it's not worth our removal from society in the greater scheme

Create a "back-a-buddy" page and add the link to this discussion. I am sure you'll be able to get some guys clubbing in and helping you out

https://www.backabuddy.co.za/

A mate and me did a recce there late afternoon around the perimeter from Mark's Park down.

We noticed slats that have been cut out of the palisade in a few spots. I will sponsor an outside contractor (who will hopefully gain mileage out of this) to repair the escape routes being used.

If it starts to become too expensive to do it on my own, I might have to ask for a few donations to get the project completed.

A mate and me did a recce there late afternoon around the perimeter from Mark's Park down.

We noticed slats that have been cut out of the palisade in a few spots. I will sponsor an outside contractor (who will hopefully gain mileage out of this) to repair the escape routes being used.

If it starts to become too expensive to do it on my own, I might have to ask for a few donations to get the project completed.

I have just received a donation from fellow Hubber Bullet77, as well as an offer from Pieter1.

I have to go take a few pics of the pallisade so that the contractors know exactly what they're in for as far as their scope of work is concerned.

Steps in the right direction.

I'll post the pics when I have them, to show how crafty the thieves are.

Another robbery this morning... same MO used - gun and pepper spray..

This makes me so mif. I’m in jhb from 20/12-03/01 I want to ride every morning from The Trailhead through Delta a loop or two of Emmies and then back. Is there some whatsapp group I can join to get with a group or something?

This makes me so mif. I’m in jhb from 20/12-03/01 I want to ride every morning from The Trailhead through Delta a loop or two of Emmies and then back. Is there some whatsapp group I can join to get with a group or something?

From what I understand the problems have all been around Montgomery Park / Albert's Farm, (ie past Emmies). so if you stick to your intended loop you don't go past the (recent) hotspots.

Alternative is to go ride on the Woesrand: Tons of trails and to my knowledge no recent troubles

From what I understand the problems have all been around Montgomery Park / Albert's Farm, (ie past Emmies). so if you stick to your intended loop you don't go past the (recent) hotspots.

Ummm... that's not how I read the reports above about the various incidents. ?

Alternative is to go ride on the Woesrand: Tons of trails and to my knowledge no recent troubles

I hear you but it is a bit too close for comfort for me to ride alone. The lekker thing is I can just cycle to the spruit from where we are staying. I don’t have a car so it is difficult to get to the bike parks and different trails.

I hear you but it is a bit too close for comfort for me to ride alone. The lekker thing is I can just cycle to the spruit from where we are staying. I don’t have a car so it is difficult to get to the bike parks and different trails.

I’m not sure where you live but the trails om the Westrand are accessible from either HP or Malibongwe so might be possible for you to tide there. Loop would be ~70km

Ummm... that's not how I read the reports above about the various incidents. ?

Please elaborate on where you understand the problem areas to be we can all ensure to avoid those. Dankie

I’m not sure where you live but the trails om the Westrand are accessible from either HP or Malibongwe so might be possible for you to tide there. Loop would be ~70km

Northcliff, so pretty central but 70ks is a bit woes...

Please elaborate on where you understand the problem areas to be we can all ensure to avoid those. Dankie

Attached a quick map I did with the red dots to show the attacks... not all the descriptions were too clear on where they happened, but these should all be roughly in the right areas. 

I have also added two dots from attacks not on this thread I know about from the last two years.

I know the Jozi Trails guys are doing a proper assessment of all this and trying to identify patterns, so hopefully that info gets out to us riders soon as well.

The obvious issues seem to be around that path away from Emmies where you would either head to Alberts Farm (West) or East towards Delta etc. These all seem to be the same guys as MO is the same. And the area generally the same... They're also almost certainly the same guys from the attack on John Adamson behind the bowling club. That was where they first hit... but it's not a place you will get away from easy if people come looking for you, so I think they have moved towards Emmies now. The cyclist/runner attack is also very likely them... 

Then that South West bottom corner has always been an issue... it's isolated and can be very quiet at times. There are lots of escape routes too... two main roads, big drains, Melville koppies, cemeteries etc.

That corner of Judith and Beyers Naude has been a smash and grab hotspot forever...

So basically don't go in there alone or in small groups at quiet times.

Stay safe out there guys, this is probably just one small group, so until they are caught we all need to be on our toes and be smart about where we go and at what times.

post-3544-0-66940100-1574676175_thumb.jpg