Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

Attached a quick map I did with the red dots to show the attacks... not all the descriptions were too clear on where they happened, but these should all be roughly in the right areas. 

I have also added two dots from attacks not on this thread I know about from the last two years.

I know the Jozi Trails guys are doing a proper assessment of all this and trying to identify patterns, so hopefully that info gets out to us riders soon as well.

The obvious issues seem to be around that path away from Emmies where you would either head to Alberts Farm (West) or East towards Delta etc. These all seem to be the same guys as MO is the same. And the area generally the same... They're also almost certainly the same guys from the attack on John Adamson behind the bowling club. That was where they first hit... but it's not a place you will get away from easy if people come looking for you, so I think they have moved towards Emmies now. The cyclist/runner attack is also very likely them... 

Then that South West bottom corner has always been an issue... it's isolated and can be very quiet at times. There are lots of escape routes too... two main roads, big drains, Melville koppies, cemeteries etc.

That corner of Judith and Beyers Naude has been a smash and grab hotspot forever...

So basically don't go in there alone or in small groups at quiet times.

Stay safe out there guys, this is probably just one small group, so until they are caught we all need to be on our toes and be smart about where we go and at what times.

Thanks. The dots near marks Park and the dots near Tana Road are the ones I was referring to/had in mind. It's significantly bad news.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2c, most of these have happened within sight of a tar road and no one has explicitly said the suspect ran to a car to get away. 

So, here comes an assumption- they are travelling by foot or public transport in and out of the area. The fact they haven't ventured to Alberts farm or to other parts of the spruit which would make as easy targets suggest to me that they are actually living in that immediate area.

if you coming in with a bus/taxi there are far better places to really catch someone off guard.

Also they not stealing bikes, only things that are small and concealable. So they likely have not got anywhere to hide a bike or move a bike. Again I come back to someone living in the area be it formal or informal.

Has anyone checked the local pawn shops? 

my 2c, most of these have happened within sight of a tar road and no one has explicitly said the suspect ran to a car to get away. 

So, here comes an assumption- they are travelling by foot or public transport in and out of the area. The fact they haven't ventured to Alberts farm or to other parts of the spruit which would make as easy targets suggest to me that they are actually living in that immediate area.

if you coming in with a bus/taxi there are far better places to really catch someone off guard.

Also they not stealing bikes, only things that are small and concealable. So they likely have not got anywhere to hide a bike or move a bike. Again I come back to someone living in the area be it formal or informal.

Has anyone checked the local pawn shops? 

I don't think you are far wrong... there are a lot of vagrants around that Tana road crossing.

Most just desperate to make an honest living, but the unsavories will always use the opportunity to sneak in

I went to the meeting tonight.

No too many people seeming to want to get involved.

Seems like a vigilante of some sort is needed to rid the area of the current vermin

Seems like a vigilante of some sort is needed to rid the area of the current vermin

Well there is a R20000 reward in play......

Edited by SteveS

Someone is going to either fight back while being robbed, or return to the scene with a ****-off big gun the next day......

then you'll see the police there in a whizz!

Any feedback to share?

What meeting? Would have liked to attend

Hey guys. Any further reports of attacks? Or reports of increased security presence? Or has it all died down? 

I gather there was a mugging this morning, but up the other end of the Spruit. Near to where the muggings by the tall reeds where a few years ago if I understand correctly.

Sadly, correct. Posted yesterday (Sat 7 Dec) on WhatsApp groups -

"...Another mugging on the spruit today. Took place at 8am near the reeds by Old Parks (north of Sprocket and Jack, just south of the narrow long bridge over the spruit). Two male riders heading south toward S&J, held up by two males armed with a knife and a gun. Robbed of cellphone, watch, bike computer, bike tools. Also demanded phone password and disabled tracking immediately. Riders unharmed fortunately. Pinned location to follow..."

I gather there was a mugging this morning, but up the other end of the Spruit. Near to where the muggings by the tall reeds where a few years ago if I understand correctly.