Sensible to ride on R44 from Gordons Bay to Bettys Bay?

I FLY

We were in Cape Town last weekend and took a drive along the R44 from Gordons Bay to Bettys Bay.

It looks like a very scenic road to do a 100km return ride.

But the shoulder looks very narrow and there are many blind corners.

Is it a recommended route? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were in Cape Town last weekend and took a drive along the R44 from Gordons Bay to Bettys Bay.

have done it many times, but yonks ago.

so my process - check strava

if lots of people still riding there, then go for it.

some sweeping corners, so i'd put on your brightest red flasher, and some loud kit so the cars/motorbikers see you well in advance.

Wannabes road crew have rides that way often, would be well worth it if you're riding in a bunch on that road.

If you're alone, I find the way out from Somerset west is fine, but coming back the shoulder is minimal and you basically have cars and cliffs. It's not the most pleasant, but that being said people do tend to give loads of room.

Early mornings are the best, I'm talking sparrows fart early. The tar is great and the shoulder opens up once you're past Rooi Els. Personally I only ride there when the Wannabees ride to Rooi Els, otherwise it's not the safest. If you really want to ride there I'd hook up with the aforementioned cycling club. Safety in numbers plus they have a follow car to alert drivers to your presence. Barring that, the furthest I'd go is up Steenbras

Wannabes road crew have rides that way often, would be well worth it if you're riding in a bunch on that road.

If you're alone, I find the way out from Somerset west is fine, but coming back the shoulder is minimal and you basically have cars and cliffs. It's not the most pleasant, but that being said people do tend to give loads of room.

What he said ^^^

Some local roadies ride there every second day. Start close to first light, there is almost no traffic then. Avoid later in the day, esp during holudays when tourists take pics while driving with the other hand.

From Rooiels onwards there is a wide shoulder.

My favorite ride. Agree, earlier better. On the other hand, the busier it gets, the slower the traffic. I feel safer on the coastal road than the R44 to Stellenbosch with the high speeds that cars and trucks are travelling at. This high speed traffic quite often includes MTB'rs in a hurry to get to Jonkers. (It is Friday  :whistling: )

Back to the coastal route beyond GB. Boat trailers are sometimes a wake up call as they are both wider and not always expected. Two incidents though. The first a motorbike coming from the opposite direction and not making the turn, ended up in "our" lane. He just missed a the back end of a bakkie travelling same direction as me, then clipped the wall right in front of me. I had stopped dead and he just made it back out past me, happily carrying along on his way. The second was a "box" in an Audi R8 travelling same direction and definitely not travelling the posted 70km/h speed limit. It also clipped the wall about 50m ahead, leaving bits of plastic and carbon fiber in the road.

I did this last week and it was brilliant. If you leave early enough, the road is very quiet.

I left at 05:30 and saw almost no cars. The cars that I did see all gave me a safe passing distance. 

I think that route is so well known amongst drivers as being full of cyclists that they tend to be aware and expect it. 

Try throw in a Steenbras climb on the way back if you can!

Recently rode it for the 1st time in years and it was fantastic. But I did it on a weekday and it was very quiet. 

Note that going in the Rooiels direction there is mostly a nice wide shoulder but that many of the drain / storm water covers on that shoulder is missing. So, you have to make sure that if you bail left that it won't be straight into a manhole! 

I also advise against riding it later in the day or during busy times. With a howling southeaster, I will also avoid it. Not only will it be unpleasant, but I think getting blown left and right by a strong wind on a narrow road with traffic is a recipe for disaster.

YES, it is narrow.

YES, it certainly has its element of danger ....

YES !  A very big YES !!  MANY cyclists along this road.  Cars along this road know to expect cyclists.  Stay "on" the yellow line and all should be okay.

enjoy  :thumbup:

Its a lovely road, ride in a group if you can, because its a little narrow, be visible back light etc. Enjoy what must be one of the most beautiful roads in the world.

A word of caution, do not try and ride from Gordan's Bay to Strand, lots of incidents on that stretch.

Recently rode it for the 1st time in years and it was fantastic. But I did it on a weekday and it was very quiet. 

Note that going in the Rooiels direction there is mostly a nice wide shoulder but that many of the drain / storm water covers on that shoulder is missing. So, you have to make sure that if you bail left that it won't be straight into a manhole! 

I also advise against riding it later in the day or during busy times. With a howling southeaster, I will also avoid it. Not only will it be unpleasant, but I think getting blown left and right by a strong wind on a narrow road with traffic is a recipe for disaster.

I am actually seriously considering a relocation to Stanford so those roads will hopefully become my stomping ground although a little to the east.Rooiels I love...but the friggen fires..