Swift Uvox brake mount + Ultegra R8000 rim brake

Veebee

I remember reading a post here where someone had issues with the brakes being mounted quite low on a Swift.

Seems the problem is still there on the 2019 models, and combined with a silly design from Shimano this is causing some tyre rub eventhough Shimano say the brakes can accommodate 28mm tyres.

I am using 25mm rims, with 25mm Gp5000's and my front tyre is rubbing on this section of the brake, a stupid design it seems on the Ultegra as the Dura-ace 9100 isnt like this.

I may just get a set of dura-ace brakes and hope this will help, if not will have to change to a 23mm which I dont really want to do.

Just really pointing it out to save someone else from having to either change brakes or go with a 23mm tyre.

post-67394-0-08339300-1573211530_thumb.jpg

Hey Veebee

This is always tricky  as it is very dependant on the rim/tyre combination and how they work together in terms of sizing. Not all 25mm tyres measure 25mm- some are more and some are less.

Different caliper options may work, as there is clearance in the frame for up to 28mm tyres. 

Send us a direct message or email if you have any more questions. 

Thanks! 

must be the frame.

I run 28mm GP4000 tyres on my Supersix Evo (2018) with no issues (front and rear Ultegra R8000 brakes.

On my Foil I also run the same 28mm wheels - brakes are Ultegra 6800 direct mount. No rubbing

in 28mm GP4000 has actually a few more mm in volume that GP5000

Edited by Mongoose!

The Gp5000's have about 1500km on them, seems they soften up and buldge out a bit more as they wear. But i am leaning more towards the caliper issue, you can see in this pic where the problem is. There is enough room in the frame but yes if the caliper was mounted higher on the fork, this wouldn't be a problem.

Wheels are chinese Ican 25mm wide.

post-67394-0-55704300-1573223498_thumb.jpg

So the brake is not mounted high enough on frame, and the GP5000 is losing its shape, why do you put the blame on Shimano? ...lol

So the brake is not mounted high enough on frame, and the GP5000 is losing its shape, why do you put the blame on Shimano? ...lol

He didn’t.

its a combination of all... but still think its a stupid design by shimano, why do it differently on the Dura-ace, which as can be seen in this pic clearly has more clearance.

post-67394-0-91835500-1573286946_thumb.jpg

Seems I'm not the only 1 with this issue, browsing a few overseas forums and guys had this issue with ultegra r8000 brakes on wide rims. So while Shimano claim it clears 28mm wide tyres, it may not be the case with wide rims. Oh well,

Maybe flip the lever and open the caliper as if you are going to remove the wheel, then wind the cable tension screw out to close it enough so that the brake works but there is no tyre rub. I have done this with a slightly buckled wheel to stop rubbibg.

Maybe flip the lever and open the caliper as if you are going to remove the wheel, then wind the cable tension screw out to close it enough so that the brake works but there is no tyre rub. I have done this with a slightly buckled wheel to stop rubbibg.

Thanks, will try this

I was the one who posted about the initial issue - had a similar problem to you with the brake caliper sitting too low on the frame.

I ended up using a long brake mounting screw / nut combo and putting a washer or two between the frame and the caliper, essentially making the brake stick further out - this got me the clearance I needed (1 or 2mm can make a big difference)