Road : Tubeless vs Tube

Wobbles

Previously yes - same sealant, I did around 8000kms over 11 months without any issues :whistling: (luck?).

I guess different sealants respond differently but that seems like a very long time ... not that I know what is ideal.

Remember hearing that as long as you can hear the sealant sloshing around inside the tyre, then you're good to go.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before... Orange Seal works like a charm, plugs the holes when it is still at 90psi and the sealant wipes off so nicely by hand. Nothing like the awful mess made by Stans or Sludge.

I didn't have any joy with super glue when I tried that.

After 1 year without issues I noticed my front GP5000TLs tubeless tyre was flat yesterday, found a hole when I tried to pump it - seems the sealant has mostly dried. I plugged it with a slug plug yesteday and cut it flush with side cutters. I did a 60km ride today and it felt really good. I'm gonna try get one of the ryder kits - so much easier if you could plug vs having to take everything apart.

I found regular plugs push out eventually due to the high pressure. I found dynaplugs with arrowhead type tip works for me on road tubeless.

• 2 weeks later...

So quick 20km test ride this morning. No leakage. Hopefully it stays that way.

Have done probably 200km since this.

Yesterday a few hundred meters before returning home I hit a small divet in the road and it unsealed the hole. Heard the psst psst all the way home, it eventually sealed just before I got to my gate.

I think I need to top up the sealent though, it wasnt the usual milky white but rather a clear liquid that had squirted everywhere.

Saturday morning after my ride I'm sitting there eating breakfast before work and I hear pssst bubble bubble psst. Bike was just standing there and the hole unsealed.

Saturday on the way home I stopped at the lab and picked up a bottle of Stans. Just the normal one not the race as they only had race in the big bottles and cash flow is a bit tight at the moment, also on the way to the tills was browsing and saw Ryder Slug Plug. Thought what the hell lets get one just in case.

So I top up that afternoon, spin the wheel a few times and the hole seals. Great.

Sunday morning I'm having a great ride. About 20km in I feel something wet again my calve, look down and see sealant, but it stopped pretty quickly.

then on a particularly fast section about 15km from home it lets go again, this time it coats everything and anything in sealant.

I stop, try and get it to seal but nothing. At this stage another cyclist stops to see if I need assistance.

He had just stopped to help another rider a few kms up that also had tubeless that would not seal.

Between the 2 of us we kind of decided that the best route forward was to use my new slug plugs and plug the hole. This I did, inflated with a bomb to not quite full pressure and I was off.

So far it has held up with teh plug. Later that day I cleaned all the snot off my bike and inflated the tyre to full pressure. So far so good.

Cool, ditto. My plug is still holding up great after about 800kms. Stan's doesn't work well on road tubeless in my experience. Continental revoseal has been pretty good. I have yet to try the mystical orange seal, wish a local online/lbs would stock it.

Saturday morning after my ride I'm sitting there eating breakfast before work and I hear pssst bubble bubble psst. Bike was just standing there and the hole unsealed.

Saturday on the way home I stopped at the lab and picked up a bottle of Stans. Just the normal one not the race as they only had race in the big bottles and cash flow is a bit tight at the moment, also on the way to the tills was browsing and saw Ryder Slug Plug. Thought what the hell lets get one just in case.

So I top up that afternoon, spin the wheel a few times and the hole seals. Great.

Sunday morning I'm having a great ride. About 20km in I feel something wet again my calve, look down and see sealant, but it stopped pretty quickly.

then on a particularly fast section about 15km from home it lets go again, this time it coats everything and anything in sealant.

I stop, try and get it to seal but nothing. At this stage another cyclist stops to see if I need assistance.

He had just stopped to help another rider a few kms up that also had tubeless that would not seal.

Between the 2 of us we kind of decided that the best route forward was to use my new slug plugs and plug the hole. This I did, inflated with a bomb to not quite full pressure and I was off.

So far it has held up with teh plug. Later that day I cleaned all the snot off my bike and inflated the tyre to full pressure. So far so good.

Once home did you let all the air out of the tyre and refill with normal air?

CO2 and sealant doesn't mix well

Once home did you let all the air out of the tyre and refill with normal air?

CO2 and sealant doesn't mix well

I did not, but it really was just a topup on the side of the road, so not much CO2 went in.

I've also read conflicting reports re: sealant and co2. 

I’m starting to pull my hair out with this tyre.

50km ride, just before home, pssst pssst pssst.

I get home, check the tyre and the plug I put in last week is gone.

I’ve been avoiding taking the tyre off and patching from the inside because the tyre is so difficult to seat, but I’m going to have to by the looks of things.

I’m starting to pull my hair out with this tyre.

I’ve been avoiding taking the tyre off and patching from the inside because the tyre is so difficult to seat, but I’m going to have to by the looks of things.

I don't kinda understand what you're getting frustrated about. You put Stans in which you already knew was rubbish. It makes a huge mess and is only seals up to 40psi.

Use the right sealant and you never have to remove and plug the tyre.

Plugs are hit and miss.

The new Stans Dart plugs look like an interesting proposition.

Is there any reason why putting sealant into a light weight tube is not an option? Why must it be either tubeless with sealant or tubed without? I see that there are prefilled tube options (Slime) but they don't seem very main stream and are hardly ever mentioned. What would be the reason for this?