Road : Tubeless vs Tube

Wobbles

Plugs are hit and miss.

The new Stans Dart plugs look like an interesting proposition.

I checked out the dart plug, looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering however what happens if you need to put a tube in i.e if you've got one or two darts in and then have a big slash and need to put in a tube in - won't the tip of the darts puncture the tube  :whistling:. I know this probably won't happen often - having to plug a hole in the first place is quite rare in my 2 years of tubeless experience.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your tubeless setup doesn't work like this, you're using the wrong stuff...

they used orange seal, which we have already established requires a secret network of highly trained operatives to get it in SA

I'm more concerned about why the plug came out

Is there any reason why putting sealant into a light weight tube is not an option? Why must it be either tubeless with sealant or tubed without? I see that there are prefilled tube options (Slime) but they don't seem very main stream and are hardly ever mentioned. What would be the reason for this?

Well one of the cool things with tubeless is you can run lower pressures for more comfort, better cornering grip - especially on crap roads (increasingly common in SA  :wacko:). The minute you have a tube in, you risk pinch flats at lower pressures - sealant in a tube won't solve that. Its not a huge issue at higher pressures, but I normally ride 80psi - I've been as low as 60 psi on 28mm tyres and I've hit potholes in a bunch that would have been a guaranteed pinch flat when I rode tubes.

I think the other reason would be maintenance, how do you know how much sealant is left in the tube, how do you top it up? ... you also can't just plug a bigger hole. So yeah those would be practical reasons why I'd think they aren't hugely popular ...  

Well one of the cool things with tubeless is you can run lower pressures for more comfort, better cornering grip - especially on crap roads (increasingly common in SA  :wacko:). The minute you have a tube in, you risk pinch flats at lower pressures - sealant in a tube won't solve that. Its not a huge issue at higher pressures, but I normally ride 80psi - I've been as low as 60 psi on 28mm tyres and I've hit potholes in a bunch that would have been a guaranteed pinch flat when I rode tubes.

I think the other reason would be maintenance, how do you know how much sealant is left in the tube, how do you top it up? ... you also can't just plug a bigger hole. So yeah those would be practical reasons why I'd think they aren't hugely popular ...  

yeah the main advantages of tubless are supposed to be lower rolling resistance and the ability to run lower pressures for more comfort. The adding the sealant I think came from the MTB world where not having to worry about punctures is a big advantage.

Did some research on saturday, lots of videos of guys putting plugs in with glue.

LBS says no glue, just put a bugger plug in.

So on saturday I tried, but I just could not get the bigger plug to go in. So decided what the hell, lets take the tyre off, clean it all up and patch from teh inside.

First things is that it looks like the CO2 doesnt play nice with Stans. Lesson learnt, I'll get a proper mini pump.

I cleaned out the inside of the tyre and then started on the bead. First with a paint scraper. No joy. Then got a blade, was doing more damage to the tyre than I was getting sealant off. Tried steel wool, it kinda worked but still left a sticky residue behind.

I took a break to do something else, when I came back to the tyre decided to give it a quick wipe with an old dish cloth that I was using for my hands. Bingo, it was rubbing the sealant off.

Anyway, patched it up with a patch and super glue, went off to the local BP, pumped it up,got it seated, then deflated, added the sealant and pumped up again.

A strange phenomenon that appeared though. I had coated the beading with soapy water and had gotten it over some of the tyre. Once the tyre was inflated it looked like the air was seeping out of the tyre wall. The soap was bubbling.

But I cleaned everything up, deflated the tyre a little and pumped with track pump to the correct pressure. Left it over night and it had not lost any pressure. Went for a 60km ride yesterday and it was all good.

A strange phenomenon that appeared though. I had coated the beading with soapy water and had gotten it over some of the tyre. Once the tyre was inflated it looked like the air was seeping out of the tyre wall. The soap was bubbling.

Happens with Conti MTB tyres too sometimes. The Revo sealant "sweats" through the sidewalls for a bit then stops.

• 1 month later...

A tube messed up my Argus time. Had a slow leak which I bombed. Lost a lot of time. Mental note : ALWAYS change the tube upfront!!!

Used those orange Tubolites and it leaked where the valve joined the main body. Mental note : throw them away!!!!

Mental note: go tubeless with Orange Seal and crack 3:30 next time:) :clap: