Gravel Bike tires

Chingy182

Hey guys

I recently bought a set of Maxxis Ramblers 700x38 for my Gravel bike.

After fitting the tires on, I struggled to get it to pump up and eventually gave up.

Later I noticed that the old set of Ramblers I had taken off are 700x40

So my question is, would this be a reason for the tire not wanting to set on my rim or must I just take it to my local petrol station and blast it with some high air pressure?

I am sure there could be other reasons involved, but my main concern now is if the 700x38 vs 700x40 could have any bearing on this?

Rim tape might need replacing, especially since gravel tyres needs a bit higher pressure than MTB, and after a while the rim tape depresses into the spoke access. Thus when replacing tyres, the air escapes from underneath the tyre bead.

But first try high pressure (local filling station). I bought a tubeless track pump which is a great tool for the home mechanic.  

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne/Digital-Pressure-Over-Drive-Tubeless-Track-Pump/G15J

What Eddie has said. 

Rim tape might need replacing, especially since gravel tyres needs a bit higher pressure than MTB, and after a while the rim tape depresses into the spoke access. Thus when replacing tyres, the air escapes from underneath the tyre bead.

But first try high pressure (local filling station). I bought a tubeless track pump which is a great tool for the home mechanic.  

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne/Digital-Pressure-Over-Drive-Tubeless-Track-Pump/G15J

Sounds about as good advice I could have hoped for.

Thanks for the explanation. 

I did expect rim tape might play a role too as I haven't replaced rim tape on the bike for about 2 years now.

Based on my assessment it just appeared that the 700x38 was a slightly more narrow tyre than the 700x40.

Sounds about as good advice I could have hoped for.

Thanks for the explanation. 

I did expect rim tape might play a role too as I haven't replaced rim tape on the bike for about 2 years now.

Based on my assessment it just appeared that the 700x38 was a slightly more narrow tyre than the 700x40.

But that is narrower when inflated. You can't inflate them, so my guess is rim tape or the valve is loose or both of the above.

It might be prudent to remove the valve cores, get the tires seated then put the cores back in and inflate to seat. Don't forget to hold the wheel horizontal to the ground and shake the sealant into the bead to seal. Both sides.

I ride 38c Panaracer Gravel king SK and thay are plenty big enough for the gravel bike

Don't use cheap rim tape. There's some real junk around with variations in thickness, width, and just lousy material which degrades quickly. Make sure the tape is the correct width for your rims. If it's too wide the tyre   beads will sit on the tape instead of on the rim surface under the rim crotchets, This can make fitting/inflating really difficult if not impossible.