105 with disc brakes or Ultegra with rim brakes?

Mikaeel1198

Fairly new to cycling and I’m the look for a new road bike (going to be used for triathlon) I have to quotes for a build with Ultegra with rim brakes (SRT) and another option for Shimano 105 with disc breaks (giant propel).

What do you guys think is the better option?

105 with disc brakes - any day of the week. The new 105 is so good you probably won't notice a difference in shifting. You will however notice the much better braking the hydro discs gives you.

and hence never have to warranty a caliper for a broken pivot bolt nut

Fairly new to cycling and I’m the look for a new road bike (going to be used for triathlon) I have to quotes for a build with Ultegra with rim brakes (SRT) and another option for Shimano 105 with disc breaks (giant propel).

Is braking not a non issue in triathlons ? If you race down mountain passes in a bunch disc brakes makes more sense. 

If its hydraulic 105, then go 105! If its the mechanical shimano caliper paired 105 STIs then go Ultegra rim.

If its hydraulic 105, then go 105! If its the mechanical shimano caliper paired 105 STIs then go Ultegra rim.

patch has a point, some of the giants come with a hybrid hydraulic disc brake system.

Basically a cable activates pistons in a "master cylinder" bolted to your handlebars, these pistons push the hydraulic fluid to the brakes.

Its got very mixed reviews on the web.

I'm neutral on it, its the first hydraulic disc brake bike I've ridden so I dont know any better.

The "master cylinder" does bug me when I hold the bars in certain positions though.

My 2cents:

I'd go for the Ultegra with rim brakes.  Much easier to find deep carbon wheels in the 2nd hand market, and easier to mount clip-on TT bars.

+1 for this, especially if you are wanting to use the bike for triathlons.

My 2cents:

I'd go for the Ultegra with rim brakes.  Much easier to find deep carbon wheels in the 2nd hand market, and easier to mount clip-on TT bars.

On this point, in my experience, it's a huge pain in the ass to find clip-on TT bars for anything other than round handlebars. So while aero handlebars are nice, they can make finding TT bars difficult to impossible which is really important if you're going to be using the bike for triathlons.

I'm assuming you're talking about Olympic distance, draft legal triathlon?

Because if you're not and you're planning on putting tri bars on the bike then personally I'd skip the extra expense of discs.

In fact I'd look at getting a 105 rim brake build and spending the cash saved on better wheels..

(As Grease_monkey said, the new 105 has received really good reviews)