Scott RC Cables chafing bottom bracket

dieBrood

My wife has a Scott RC Contessa 2018 and myself ride a Scott RC 900 World Cup 2017 model.  After the recent W2W we discovered that the BB on  my wife’s bike was chafed quite severely by the cables running below it - see attached pic.post-87898-0-65543700-1573500613_thumb.jpeg. To my dismay I discovered a similar groove below the BB of my bike as well.

I took both bikes for a post-W2W service at my local Scott bike store.  They were as surprised as I was and swear it is the first time they’ve noticed it.

This was never an issue on any of our previous Scott bikes, but all of them were the old design.  I was wondering whether anybody on a 2017 Scott RC and newer, have experienced something similar and why this will happen?  The one possibility is that the cables will start to chafe away at the BB when you ride the bike soft and not locked out.

i am still awaiting Scott’s reaction, but will appreciate any contribution to solve this “mystery”.

This can happen to any brand.

Its caused by brake or shifter cable housings being cut too short when replacing them, or housings the have shifted in the frame getting shorter at the bb and longer at the levers / shifters

Most manufacturers have a recommended length or distance from cable and bb when frame uncompressed to compensate for compression.

This can happen to any brand.

Its caused by brake or shifter cable housings being cut too short when replacing them, or housings the have shifted in the frame getting shorter at the bb and longer at the levers / shifters

Most manufacturers have a recommended length or distance from cable and bb when frame uncompressed to compensate for compression.

installation error in my opinion. The cable housing should have been loose enough to not touch the frame under full compression

That's all there is to it.

check your scott bike manual. They have a recommended clearance of about 10cm (i think). 

my 2018 spark 940 has 6000km on and i've never touched the cable down at the BB, the still look newish, not like the rust in the photos

No matter the brand of bike, when you first get it make sure you apply some form of protection to the frame wherever the cables can make contact with the frame (Including under compression) and after your first ride see if your shoes make contact with the frame or crank and if so apply protection to these areas.

I am assuming you were one of the swimmers at this years W2W, if so those conditions could only have made your situation far worse than when riding in fair weather conditions.

To those suggesting that protection will help - no amount of frame or cable protection will stop that. Proper cable routing will. Cable routing needs to be checked at both extremes of handlebar and suspension travel.

To anyone whose bike shop blames the manufacturer, find a new bike shop.