Wheelset upgrade for road bike

NickGM

I currently have pretty basic wheels on my road bike; they are the Mavic Aksiums that came with my 2013 cannondale. 

For a number of reasons I'm looking to upgrade, however whenever I look in the classifieds there generally seem to be 2 types of wheelsets available: R1,500 wheelsets (which are typically very entry level and wouldn't be an upgrade) or R15,000 deep section carbon wheelsets, which would be an upgrade but I really don't want to spend that much. 

So I have 2 questions:

1. Does anybody have any suggestions for mid-level wheel upgrades - max budget of R5K? I'm looking for something lighter and stronger, and honestly it wouldn't hurt if they looked cool too. 

2. I currently have a 10 speed cassette on my bike and have no intention to change to 11 speed - are hubs generally made with a specific number of gears in mind or is there compatibility between the two?

Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend a little more and you could grab these:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/390425-mavic-cosmic-sl-carbon-wheelset/

These are really great, owned a set myself and I'm positive that other hubbers can vouch for this brand and model range...cannot obviously comment on condition/use of this specific set.

Not certain if your budget is for new or used set of wheels.

Mid to upper middle of the range wheelsets usually sell 2nd hand for around R5000. Look for things like Campy Eurus or Mavic Cosmic. Don't hesitate to get good aluminium wheels. Some are as good as carbon and more forgiving when it comes to damage from potholes. 

My opinion. Mavic Aksiums are the best entry level wheels around.  You can fit 10 or 11 speed cassettes and they have sealed bearings, not the lightest but strong enough for everyday use.  If you want to go one up I would recommend a hand built set of aluminium wheels which will cost you upwards of R6000.  By building you can tailor the wheels to your needs rather than getting stuck in the "light - patented - one size suits all" trap that comes with the mid and upper level off the shelf wheels.  The same logic applies to carbon wheels.  Discuss your needs with your wheel builder, get some decent rims and hubs - do not need to be expensive - and you will be a happy rider.  Hand built carbons will probably start at around R12000.

Mid to upper middle of the range wheelsets usually sell 2nd hand for around R5000. Look for things like Campy Eurus or Mavic Cosmic. Don't hesitate to get good aluminium wheels. Some are as good as carbon and more forgiving when it comes to damage from potholes. 

Add Eason 90s

http://www.pro-lite.net/road-wheels/bracciano-a42w

I have a set of these for sale. Purchased them from chain reaction cycles. did 3 rides on them and found that they were too wide for my frame. They are 10 and 11 speed compatible and come with the 10 speed spacer.

PS....I have the CKT 589 bike and the rear triangle is very narrow hence them fitting too snug to the frame.  

I will let them go for R2 500. I paid R 5000 with import taxes etc.

Send me a pm if you would like more info

Wait for some possible black friday deals...

But honestly spending R5-R6k on wheels isnt going to provide you with too much of an upgrade.

You should save up more and get a set of carbon hoops.

I am riding these Ican wheels for 6 months now and have zero complaints, landed at around R12k, doubt you will find much better for the price.

https://icancycling.com/collections/aero-series-wheelset#

It would be great to hear from more Hubbers as to what wheelsets they have upgraded to and what they recommend. I have been considering an upgrade but too much to select from and too many options to select to make it an easy choice. What are the best choices in aero wheels in the 10k - 20k region?? What have you bought and are totally happy with??

I bought a set of Prime 28mm full carbon wheels from CRC  last January . 

Awesome set of wheels and they are doing deals now on 28 , 35 and 50mm full carbon wheels .

My wheels were about R8500 landed in SA .

Edited by Popit

Thanks for the feedback so far, very helpful. Just to answer a question that someone asked, yes at R5K I was looking at second hand. I'd aim a bit higher for something new. 

http://www.pro-lite.net/road-wheels/bracciano-a42w

I have a set of these for sale. Purchased them from chain reaction cycles. did 3 rides on them and found that they were too wide for my frame. They are 10 and 11 speed compatible and come with the 10 speed spacer.

PS....I have the CKT 589 bike and the rear triangle is very narrow hence them fitting too snug to the frame.  

I will let them go for R2 500. I paid R 5000 with import taxes etc.

Send me a pm if you would like more info

Why would you willingly fit a set of bricks to your bike?

These 2 sets are bulletproof, relatively light and look cool - I have them both and love them

Marz here on the hub always has good deals on them

It would be great to hear from more Hubbers as to what wheelsets they have upgraded to and what they recommend. I have been considering an upgrade but too much to select from and too many options to select to make it an easy choice. What are the best choices in aero wheels in the 10k - 20k region?? What have you bought and are totally happy with??

There's loads of options if you willing to go up to R20k...

All depends what you want exactly, and if you need local support or not. Comes down to who you are happy dealing with and where you want to spend your $$$

Mavic have quite a few options and their local support is good.

Tokens are good but prices up at the moment, wait for their "sale" prices which are usually around R21k.

I see Deno Van Heerden - DVH Cycles is doing his own brand, ICON wheels, you will have good support from him no doubt.

Then chinese wheels, Ican / FarSport / LightBicycle etc, there's quite a few to name but you then have to go through the shipping and customs process. Can land something good at around R10-12k.