Goggles or Glasses

Pieter1

Hey guys.

I need some new glasses but I’m wondering if goggles won’t be better. Reason I’m thinking of goggles is that for some reason every pair of glasses I have ever owned (from Oakley to cheap stuff) has always slid down the bridge of my nose. It irritates the poef out of me to have to shift them up all the time. I’m assuming goggles will not do this. Currently looking at the Oakley Airbrake, what else should I consider? I’m not to phased about fashion police it is just for comfort.

Thanks

You are going to get hot under goggles, no ventilation etc.

Have you tried on oakleys radar ev path ? They are a very snug fit.

I have the movements issues with jawbreakers and flight jacket but ZERO movement on the radars.

I have been using the Darcs range for cycling since 2002.  My casual sunglasses is Rudy Project (Agon).  Occasionally I also use them for cycling.   

No problem with any of these two.

I just started wearing gogles now as I don't know wtf to do with my glasses once I start sweating like a pig on uphills and it drops on my lenses, then it takes forever to wipe it off because every piece of fabric on me is wet so I just end up not putting my glasses back on... Now with the goggles I keep them around my neck the whole time and just wear them for downhills... So far this works for me !

I use goggles with an open face, but purely for descending - the rest of the time it's on the back of my helmet. Works amazingly as I also sweat into the lenses of glasses while climbing which makes them unusable in about 15mins of riding. The goggles work like a bomb, but I would not ride with them on at all times - it works for those rides where it's an hour of climbing followed by 15mins of descending.

I use goggles with an open face, but purely for descending - the rest of the time it's on the back of my helmet. Works amazingly as I also sweat into the lenses of glasses while climbing which makes them unusable in about 15mins of riding. The goggles work like a bomb, but I would not ride with them on at all times - it works for those rides where it's an hour of climbing followed by 15mins of descending.

I’m a heavy sweater. Even with my regular glases I have the issue of sweat on the lenses so I reckon regardless of what I choose there will be sweat on the lenses. Suppose goggles would be easier to take off and stow during climbs.

Same here, but I also wear spectacles. I havent used goggles on a climb tho, only for descending. They are the best at keeping wind, dust, etc out of your eyes. Best way to deal with sweat is a headband or a buff. I have of late moved back to using sunglasses. 

I've only used goggles once when riding in heavy rain, cold and a lot of mud. Worked great, but very unique conditions.

I’m a heavy sweater. Even with my regular glases I have the issue of sweat on the lenses so I reckon regardless of what I choose there will be sweat on the lenses. Suppose goggles would be easier to take off and stow during climbs.

Goggles are easy to take off and put onto your helmet backwards when climbing, if you have a trail helmet with a visor that can move up or down.  You might struggle if your visor are fixed in one position and there is not a lot of space for the goggle strap.  Just know that you will feel the extra weight of the goggles in your helmet and it kind of throughs it off balance.  Not a big deal, I got used to this but you will notice it.  

Do not even try and climb with the goggles on your face, if will just be to hot.  

Also, maybe look at something with a lower profile that the Oakley Airbrake if you are only going to use the goggles with your trail helmet.  The "flanges" on the side makes it look a little out of place with a open face.  Something like the Oakley O-Frame of the 100% Accuri goggles has a lower profile and looks much better with a open face.  

Edited by CJ Van

Is this for watery eyes mainly while going downhill? 

My Rudi sunglasses seemed fine and didn't slide down, Maybe look at adjusting the nose piece and ear pieces so it's a bit tighter? 

Goggles are easy to take off and put onto your helmet backwards when climbing, if you have a trail helmet with a visor that can move up or down. You might struggle if your visor are fixed in one position and there is not a lot of space for the goggle strap. Just know that you will feel the extra weight of the goggles in your helmet and it kind of throughs it off balance. Not a big deal, I got used to this but you will notice it.

Do not even try and climb with the goggles on your face, if will just be to hot.

Also, maybe look at something with a lower profile that the Oakley Airbrake if you are only going to use the goggles with your trail helmet. The "flanges" on the side makes it look a little out of place with a open face. Something like the Oakley O-Frame of the 100% Accuri goggles has a lower profile and looks much better with a open face.

I use a Bell Super DH, mostly without the chin bar. The visor can move so I was thinking I’ll just pop them up there when climbing. I’ll have a look at the others, thanks.

Is this for watery eyes mainly while going downhill?

My Rudi sunglasses seemed fine and didn't slide down, Maybe look at adjusting the nose piece and ear pieces so it's a bit tighter?

Nope. Only issue I have with every pair of glasses is that they slide down my nose. Even my casual sunnies although a bit less. I had tighter fitting glasses but they give me a headache after about an hour.

Hey guys.

I need some new glasses but I’m wondering if goggles won’t be better. Reason I’m thinking of goggles is that for some reason every pair of glasses I have ever owned (from Oakley to cheap stuff) has always slid down the bridge of my nose. It irritates the poef out of me to have to shift them up all the time. I’m assuming goggles will not do this. Currently looking at the Oakley Airbrake, what else should I consider? I’m not to phased about fashion police it is just for comfort.

Thanks

post-48060-0-58038800-1573799854_thumb.png