Cape Town route for a 60 minute FTP test

tcr-rider

Can anyone recommend a route to take around Cape Town (I'm from overseas but based in Somerset West for the summer) that would be suitable for a 60 minute FTP test?

I've just ordered my first power meter, but can't think of anywhere near me that doesn't either have too much decent or intersections.

60mins ?? 

Arent they usually between 20-30 ?

From what I've heard the full version is 60 minutes but the 20 minute effort can be multiplied by 0.95 to get a passably accurate 60 minute FTP. 

I'm not convinced there is anywhere around here to do the full 60 but just interested to hear if anyone has any tips :)

From what I've heard the full version is 60 minutes but the 20 minute effort can be multiplied by 0.95 to get a passably accurate 60 minute FTP. 

I'm not convinced there is anywhere around here to do the full 60 but just interested to hear if anyone has any tips :)

R27 when the South Easter is pumping from Port Owen to Cape Town, you can do a 120min FTP test with a 40km/h SE

R27 when the South Easter is pumping from Port Owen to Cape Town, you can do a 120min FTP test with a 40km/h SE

I caught a pumping North Wester from Rooi Els to Gordon's Bay a few weeks ago which was NOT pleasant  :thumbdown:

60min FTP test includes

10min warm up

5min recovery

2miin at VO2max

3min recovery

3min Tempo

2min recovery

3min tempo

2 min recovery

20min hang it all out there

10 min recovery

=60min.

If you want to do a 90min TT with a full 60min flat out then I suggest you head over to the Paarl velodrome and ride incircles till your head spins. Thats the best place for a 90min FTP test (Full  60min TT)

60min FTP test includes

10min warm up

5min recovery

2miin at VO2max

3min recovery

3min Tempo

2min recovery

3min tempo

2 min recovery

20min hang it all out there

10 min recovery

=60min.

If you want to do a 90min TT with a full 60min flat out then I suggest you head over to the Paarl velodrome and ride incircles till your head spins. Thats the best place for a 90min FTP test (Full  60min TT)

Amazing, thanks. Does one just turn up at the velodrome or do you need to book time? 

Can anyone recommend a route to take around Cape Town (I'm from overseas but based in Somerset West for the summer) that would be suitable for a 60 minute FTP test?

I've just ordered my first power meter, but can't think of anywhere near me that doesn't either have too much decent or intersections.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/segments/2448933/embed'></iframe>

wait for a howling SE-er, then head up the cycle lane for about 5min (about 10km), turn around and cycle back... average speed will be putrid, but imagine the watts you'll be putting out just to stay upright!!

but seriously, IDT and then remember that FTP outdoors differs a bit from that indoors - so I'm told

wait for a howling SE-er, then head up the cycle lane for about 5min (about 10km), turn around and cycle back... average speed will be putrid, but imagine the watts you'll be putting out just to stay upright!!

but seriously, IDT and then remember that FTP outdoors differs a bit from that indoors - so I'm told

Back in my noob days, I rode out from Woodbridge island to Melkbosstrand.

I wasn't riding, I was motoring along at 45km/h on a hardtail.

I think it took me about 30min to reach Melkbos.

Then when I turned around, I realised why I was going so fast.

That 20km return ride took me about 2 hours and I was probably crying at some point too.

I caught a pumping North Wester from Rooi Els to Gordon's Bay a few weeks ago which was NOT pleasant :thumbdown:

When did FTP testing become pleasant.? LOL

I would seriously consider a 4DP test on a proper indoor trainer or at the velodrome rather. 
It's great to do some proper testing but: 

A) The 60 minute test on the road will rip your legs and be pretty mentally tough, meaning the room for error is large. 

B) There's very minimal chance of consistency in your next test. 

Testing FTP and other maximal power outputs should serve both as a training guide, and as a benchmark for restesting later on. So super controlled environment wins; as does a test that isn't going to leave you limping for days. 

Have a look at Sufferfests' 4DP test, or I can share a FIT file for IDT/Garmin. A lot of people won't like this, but the 20min output in that protocol is generally more accurate (and lower) than the 20min x95% tradition.