Cutting handlebars

Sbloomer

Hi all

I would like to add a longer stem to my daughters bike, with a riser bar.  Unfortunately all the handlebars that are available are 700mm plus and her current handlebar is 570 (it's on a 24').  I'm not sure what the limits would be to cutting handlebars, but would it be OK to take a 700mm bar and trim to 600mm?

I'm trying to just extend the life of the bike before I start thinking about getting her on a 26 or 650b (she is too short for a small in either size and an XS is like hens teeth in my price range).

Thanks

Cutting any bar too short will cause it to feel very harsh in riding conditions 

However i doubt your daughter is thrashing enduro trails for extended periods 

So if you're going to buy any decent brand bar you can definitely take it down to 600mm without worry of failure 

Personally I don't think it will be an issue cutting a bar from 700mm to 600mm as long as your daughter is comfortable then it should be fine. But that's my opinion.

YES, can be done

Just check where the bars start getting thicker .... as this is the limit for the gear and brake levers ....

only some carbon or super lightweight bars might have an issue with cutting too short as the area where you tighten the brake lever/gear shifter clamp might be not strong enough. But a standard aluminum bar shouldn't be a problem specially for a light youngster

Before cutting, why not shift everything "inwards" to see if the narrower bar will suit her.

As I said the existing bar is 570. More than 600 will be too wide.

Measure twice cut once

I once........ had to remove 20mm off a new bar. To this day, don’t know what the hell I was thinking, measured 20mm VERY carefully off the one side, made a clean straight line and carefully cut. As the excess piece hit the floor, I realized what I had done. Anger, Sadness, Embarrassment followed instantly!