2020 Freedom Challenge

Vega

Let's start the 2020 thread.

Who is riding? How is your training going? What is your race goal? Equipment choices? Getting to grips with maps and narratives? Advice?

I'll start. Entered for first RASA. Never done a Freedom Challenge event before. Slightly worried :)

Who is riding? How is your training going? What is your race goal? Equipment choices? Getting to grips with maps and narratives? Advice?

I'll start. Entered for first RASA. Never done a Freedom Challenge event before. Slightly worried :)

Awesome. Experience of a lifetime. 

I'm always riding "next year"!

Don't be worried, you got plenty of time for this. Take lots of advice, but try it in the field. Work out what works for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in for 2020!

Going for number #3.

2014 was an unfortunate disaster with an eventual withdrawal at Chesneywold.

Put my big boy pants on and conservatively, in 2016 finished what I started. I say conservatively because I wanted to make sure I finished the whole course this time!

The "pull" of the Freedom Trail has been eating at me and so here we go again, bring on 2020!

My training, learning off the last two, is very base training orientated till the end of December. (Just riding)

January the real deal starts.

Depending on what your race strategy is will determine what your training regime should be. If you not one of those race snakes then its merely about getting overall body fit. As Shebeen said, work out what works for you.

I did plenty interval training, upper body and core training, some hiking and one or two ultra distant rides and I used the 36One Mtb race in April as an 'icebreaker' before RASA

If its your first one, other than being fit, navigation is key. If you are sketchy on navigation, try see if you can find a basic course on map and compass navigation skills.

As you know, you carry all your kit and gear with you. While training, pack a pack heavier than what you will ride with in RASA.

I went over-packed in 2014 at around 14kgs!! Yup! bloody heavy after the first couple of miles when ascending. 2016, I went in with 7kgs. You'll be surprise what little kit you can live off when out there!

Nutrition - keep it natural. Keep it real but experiment!

Don't be worried about RASA. Have fun in your training, absorb information, experiment, and when you get there, take it all in! Its an incredible journey! It can sometimes teach you things about yourself you never knew or maybe forgotten.

Feel free to drop me a PM anytime if there is anything you would like to bounce off. Most importantly enjoy the build up and don't overthink RASA. Its merely a mountain bike ride/race with incredible people you will meet along the way and you will experience the South African landscape like few others will ever get to experience....

If anyone gets onto this forum...... I'm looking for one of those small chest pouches that you attach to your backpack straps for RASA 2020. If anyone knows of or where.....  :whistling:

If anyone gets onto this forum...... I'm looking for one of those small chest pouches that you attach to your backpack straps for RASA 2020. If anyone knows of or where.....  :whistling:

I have a number of them. The 'better' pre made options are from Raidlight, Inov8 and Salomon used to make/offer one.

I don't know if any of those will be great on the bike though. When I hit bike legs on an AR i remove them as they tend to sag down and hit your knees.

I would suggest getting a handlebar bag instead. Those are the answer 

soft flasks on the backpack strap work better than bottles cos they are softer and conform to your chest, also you can close a jacket over the top and keep them from freezing....

The idea is something like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lZegJzvixnA/UbxV9ItkT4I/AAAAAAAAALk/D-_YYuEFkU8/s640/blogger-image--751022124.jpg

This is Charles Mansfield at his RASA a few years ago...

Having done RASA before, this time round I don't want to use a map board. I would prefer to have a small chest pouch to keep the paper work in there....  :whistling:

Edited by TrailWarrior

Ja, I hear you. But also that will hit your knees.

I will try find a few pictures of my various front packs......

I keep the maps in them too. On the bike a map board is hands down the best unless you know the route.

Edited by Jewbacca

• 1 month later...