[Event] Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour 2020

Ninetyniner Durbanville

Hi all

I did the 99er in 4h01mins yesterday and it was a really good ride but after 80km my legs was cramping and pulled stiff. This slowed me down alot. I even walked the last climb to the finish. What training can I do for CTCT so this doesn't happen again. I want a better time and want to feel better after 80km.

Some advice please.

4 years ago I was exactly where you are now. Yesterday I rode the 99er in less than 3 hours with only a 750ml bottle. After struggling after 2 hours, I started to to train more consistent with longer rides over weekends. I do a lot of fasted rides and Intervals in between. 3 weeks hard 1 week off. On a 100km training ride I can go easily with only 2 bottles with no food and that after I used to consume a powerbar, banana, 2 gels and whatever else on a 3 hour ride. Don't train your body to eat in order to perform, train it to be efficient with only the necessary fuel.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eat and drink more and do this regularly. I ride with droewors in my jersey pocket and have a 5cm piece every 30min on the bike. I'll have a Gu few minutes before a climb and with 20km to go in the race. I make sure a few days before a race I'm well hydrated, and on the morning of the race I have a bottle of water with rehydrate(or whatever puts electrolytes back in your system) on my way to the race. During the race I go through a 750mm bottle every hour and a half.

As far as training goes, just ride as much as you can and want to. I think your problem is more of nutrition and not fitness. It was a hot day and you probably cramped up because of dehydration.

I had 4 fastbars, 3 bananas and 2 bottles of water and 2 energade. Never had the Gu before and the Droewars. I will try next time. thanks. 

4 years ago I was exactly where you are now. Yesterday I rode the 99er in less than 3 hours with only a 750ml bottle. After struggling after 2 hours, I started to to train more consistent with longer rides over weekends. I do a lot of fasted rides and Intervals in between. 3 weeks hard 1 week off. On a 100km training ride I can go easily with only 2 bottles with no food and that after I used to consume a powerbar, banana, 2 gels and whatever else on a 3 hour ride. Don't train your body to eat in order to perform, train it to be efficient with only the necessary fuel.

Matches my experience too, the cramping disappeared when I got fitter and stronger. There are no shortcuts imho. Tried some stuff, but they didn't really work as well as more training.

I had 4 fastbars, 3 bananas and 2 bottles of water and 2 energade. Never had the Gu before and the Droewars. I will try next time. thanks.

How often do you do rides of over 80km without stopping for coffee midway...

Judging by the amount you ate it's unlikely to be a nutritional issue. Far more likely that your body is just unused to riding at intensity for a longer duration.

Train to race.

Hi all

I did the 99er in 4h01mins yesterday and it was a really good ride but after 80km my legs was cramping and pulled stiff. This slowed me down alot. I even walked the last climb to the finish. What training can I do for CTCT so this doesn't happen again. I want a better time and want to feel better after 80km.

Some advice please.

Train longer distances

And shorter at higher intensity

Muscle fatique leads to muscle failure if the demand is too high ????????‍♀️

Nah in that case not nutrition the issue then. Train longer distances.

my race report:

started in D.  my aim was to not lose too many riders over vissershok which was going well until my group came to a stop when the steeper section started.  some dude dropped a chain and then everyone went into a panic and swerved this way and that way.  did not help that we had vehicles coming down on the right hand side.  so when descending vissers i saw that about half the group was down the road and i was somewhere in the middle of the faster/slower contingent.  i slowed down as i knew i couldn't catch them on my own.  got some great help from 2 powerhouses and we set about catching the front group.

catch was finally made at the fruit sellers intersection.  just before that there was a close call as two riders touched wheels and the one rider did his best at a Jacob Fugslang swerve and save.  I actually think his save was better than the Dane's at Liege-Bastogne_Liege as he had smoke coming from his tyres and i thought "oh f... that's gonna hurt".  To my surprise NO ONE went down.  The riders around him also responded quickly and calmly.

The R312 was filled with distressed riders - more dropped chains and punctures galore.

From there it was just a matter of hanging onto the bunch.  Nearly got caught out on Slent Road's crosswind, but I just barged onto the right hand side to find some shelter.  Adderley was a literal drag as I started feeling fatigued but I looked down at the Garmin and it looked like a sub-3 was on the cards so I dug deep to hang on.

By the time we hit Durbanvale's circles I saw the sub-3 slipping away.  Oh well, just keep going.  Crossed the line just  over 3h03.  Disappointed and delighted at the same time.

I could finally let go of last year's dropped seatpost saga  :ph34r:  :D

Matches my experience too, the cramping disappeared when I got fitter and stronger. There are no shortcuts imho. Tried some stuff, but they didn't really work as well as more training.

this

seeding's up.  i missed out on moving up a group by 43 seconds  :blink:

i'm blaming the fella who caused the group to split up vissers  :ph34r:

the winners time really got adjusted ... pheww.  Even with the beta I actually got worst seeding than my starting group and I finished top 3rd...  

Social Argus it is then :)

Edited by Karman de Lange

Wow, I improved my seeding quite a lot.  By 17 points.  But why is the Beta so high?  I didn't think it all that difficult (even if I was a backmarker)

Vissers force the wheel suckers and the bad climbers in faster groups to drop back alot. Beta is calculated on how many top riders go slower.    

seeding's up. i missed out on moving up a group by 43 seconds :blink:

i'm blaming the fella who caused the group to split up vissers :ph34r:

I was in the same group as you, i missed moving up by 9sec????