Anybody experience limited circulation in their toes from long rides?

Awkward question, but I think it's time I ask it haha.

Rode W2W Chardonnay, and after day 1 my big toe went numb in my right foot. Didn't care too much for it, thought it's just from riding so far as a first timer... The problem is that my big toe is still kind of numb, there's nothing different visually from my left big toe. It's not sore and I have 100% movement. But the underside still feels slightly numb, almost like pins and needles but without the funny tingling sensation. I wear the Capestorm cycling shoes and rode with the cleats in the bottom screws, not sure if that gives much insight.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, when I started riding I had this too.

A bike fit, cleat setup, along with stiffer soles sorted it out chop chop.

As for the toe not feeling lekker, go see a Doc. I did something similar to my pinkie in 2015 and its still not right because I ignored it too long.

Yes, when I started riding I had this too.

A bike fit, cleat setup, along with stiffer soles sorted it out chop chop.

As for the toe not feeling lekker, go see a Doc. I did something similar to my pinkie in 2015 and its still not right because I ignored it too long.

Thank you. Will head to a doc and get a bike fit as well.

Can anybody suggest a doctor in Cape Town that might be able to help? Preferably on the Discovery medical aid network. I don't think my usual doc will have much of an idea...

Patchelicious is almost certainly right about bike and shoe set-up. For the doctor try this man who is a cyclist and knows what he's doing:

Dr. Dion o Cuinnegan

Tokai Medical Centre

Tel. 021 712 9367

It can also be your sciatic nerve in your lower back pinching a bit. The numb feeling will however not be isolated to the toe alone. 

Maybe pop a anti-inflammatory (something like GenPayne, Myprodol, BetaPain, and or whatever your poison) and see if it helps if not - go for a consult 

PS - I know nothing about the medical field so my advice should be taken with a pinch of salt 

It can also be your sciatic nerve in your lower back pinching a bit. The numb feeling will however not be isolated to the toe alone. 

Maybe pop a anti-inflammatory (something like GenPayne, Myprodol, BetaPain, and or whatever your poison) and see if it helps if not - go for a consult 

PS - I know nothing about the medical field so my advice should be taken with a pinch of salt and an anti-inflammatory

:whistling:

If it were me: I'd definitely start with a bike fit by a qualified person. There's a chance it will fix your problem, and even if it doesn't it's a great thing to have done anyway. They'll have you sitting in such a way that all the big muscle groups are being used and that you don't have any asymmetry or bias, you aren't squashing any nerves or blood supply, etc. You can also ask that person about saddles, shoes, etc. 

And if it doesn't come right very quickly after that, I'd see a doc. 

Be thankful it wasn’t your junk going numb, woke up in the early hours a while back and went to go pee with some stuff just not right. Could slap it and felt nothing.

This has forever changed the relationship between my doctor and I...  :blush:

Sorted with some bike fitment.

might not be related but (just) my right foot was going numb around the last three toes. I have spaz shoes so went and took them there asking for advice, and the guy recommended that he checked my foot arch hight. Well i know I have high arches but he confirmed it and gave me a set of different insoles to try and that fixed it for me. if you walk you shoes off on the outer edges....you might have a high arches too and might benifit from more support in your insoles.

Be thankful it wasn’t your junk going numb, woke up in the early hours a while back and went to go pee with some stuff just not right. Could slap it and felt nothing.

This has forever changed the relationship between my doctor and I...  :blush:

Sorted with some bike fitment.

I'm sorry, thats is *** funny (because I have done exactly the same thing)

tenor.gif

After my first DC (more than 8 hours) I thought it was broken forever. Got home, only to avoid my wife's "advances"... which was immediately prescribed to me having had an affair in Swellendam.... it was the slaps that proved me innocent.

Sorry, back to your toe.

Edited by Patchelicious

I'm sorry, thats is *** funny (because I have done exactly the same thing)

tenor.gif

After my first DC (more than 8 hours) I thought it was broken forever. Got home, only to avoid my wife's "advances"... which was immediately prescribed to me having had an affair in Swellendam.... it was the slaps that proved me innocent.

Sorry, back to your toe.

Time to gap it