Where are the 21st century Robin Hoods?

Shebeen

There are supposed to be laws to protect us, but when they don't work why can't people on the inside bend the rules.

Case in point:

RICA. it was supposed to be impossible to commit a crime  using a celllphone and be untraceable. What happened there? Why can't there be people on the inside at vodacom/MTN etc. who actually use information their network has to actually catch obvious criminals?

Anything that connects to the internet....should not be able to be stolen.

Smartphones. they have an IMEI number, the camera has EXIF data. etc etc.

imagine the database of stolen phones that facebook/google etc could be organising?

FICA. Banks. a scammer asks you to deposit money into an account....and that's basically the end of that.

Now i know the guys at the top will say that this is all illegal, but so was Robin Hood robbing the sheriff. Where are the people who could be doing obvious good? If they could open their info to benevolent hackers, then there could be anonymity too

It's the modern world.

The technology exists to sort out these things, but human rights, political correctness, personal privacy etc prevent its implimentation. 

The public don't want to be spied on by the authorities and unfortunatley historically governments have been known to misuse information gathered. Looking for people with udersireable political views for example.

Best you can hope for is someone who is in a possition to see something and report it anonymously to someone who will actually do something about it. Maybe there re just too many people on the take for this to ever happen though.

RICA doesn’t work. I had some useless <insert your favorite selection of expletives here> crash into the back of me a few months back. Turns out his drivers license was fake, the car he was driving didn’t exist according to our “wonderful” traffic department and the cell phone number which rang on his phone when I called to confirm it is registered/RICA’d against 8 I think it was different people. What the fsck South Africa...

RICA and FICA is there to waste the honest people's time. I have never heard of one of these being used for anything good/positive.

try working in the financial services sector. the crap we get as consumers is not a drop in the ocean compared to the **** that needs to happen to make sure an FSP complies with FICA

Fica and Rica will be used by government and sars to send fines etc to mid to high income households. My opinion. I know the traffic department is pushing to sms and email fines 

Fica and Rica will be used by government and sars to send fines etc to mid to high income households. My opinion. I know the traffic department is pushing to sms and email fines 

As far as I know, in 2020 SMS and email fines will be legal notice.

If your registered phone and email address don't match the ones you use, tough luck. Warrants will be served as they have done their due diligence.

I think it's great. Digitize the system and if you aren't compliant you get arrested. It will take time, but much like the drunk driving initiative, it will take on and become more successful than the 'old' system.

ok, I'll go with one.

Essentially people in a position and then not looking away when they can see some wrongdoing.

Taking a risk to personal and career if it backfires but doing the right thing.

Gupta whistleblowrs is one that comes to mind.

RICA and FICA is there to waste the honest people's time. I have never heard of one of these being used for anything good/positive.

internet scammers exist because this is all so useless. Imagine if they were all rounded up in one fell swoop?

RICA, FICA, Gun amnesties - they may keep already honest people honest, but surely have little or no effect whatsoever on people who already live outside of the law and are happy to continue to do so?

Perhaps traffic road-blocks are another example? You or I, in our legally registered cars with our genuine driving licenses, can and will be caught for non payment of fines/tolls etc etc. But the guy in an illegal and often unroadworthy car, with a false driving license, gets through "for a hundred bucks". Something like this doesn't cure the problem, it just slows honest people down and makes a bit of pocket money for the police.

Are there exceptions? Are there cases where illegal cars are impounded, and peope with false driving licenses are locked up? 

As far as I know, in 2020 SMS and email fines will be legal notice.

If your registered phone and email address don't match the ones you use, tough luck. Warrants will be served as they have done their due diligence.

I think it's great. Digitize the system and if you aren't compliant you get arrested. It will take time, but much like the drunk driving initiative, it will take on and become more successful than the 'old' system.

I dont know how they can do that. How are they gonna confirm that you have received said email or sms. One can turn around and say, no internet access or lost phone. It is a system that is gonna fail!

RICA, FICA, Gun amnesties - they may keep already honest people honest, but surely have little or no effect whatsoever on people who already live outside of the law and are happy to continue to do so?

Perhaps traffic road-blocks are another example? You or I, in our legally registered cars with our genuine driving licenses, can and will be caught for non payment of fines/tolls etc etc. But the guy in an illegal and often unroadworthy car, with a false driving license, gets through "for a hundred bucks". Something like this doesn't cure the problem, it just slows honest people down and makes a bit of pocket money for the police.

Are there exceptions? Are there cases where illegal cars are impounded, and peope with false driving licenses are locked up? 

As little as a R20 or a streetwise two. Havent heard about a R100 before, then again, I dont get pulled over often, at roadblocks I just get waved past