Gear indicator removal and general cockpit tidiness

TyronLab

Ahoy all.

Since my new bike seems to have a bajillion levers and toggles (2x brakes, dropper remote, remote fork lockout, bacon dispenser) I'm looking at tidying things up a bit.

In aid of this I want to get rid of my gear indicators. While I've seen videos online of older XT systems having a blanking plate pre-installed on the shifter housing, my SLX shifters (SL-M7000 2018) don't have this.

I found that you can buy a blanking plate separately (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-slx-slm7000-base-cap-fixing-screw-right-y06m98070/?geoc=US), but importing two tiny magoeftertjies from the UK seems ridiculous. Anybody have a spare set they'd be willing to part ways with, or know of a bike shop in the JHB area that may have some I can relieve them of?

Next up is the possible removal of the Poploc remote lockout. I'm still uhming and ahing about this one as I like having a lockout option for the amount of road riding I do, but I don't need quick access or instantaneous switching between locked out and open, so the crown-mounted switch I had on my old bike was perfect. Anyone discover a smart way of bodging the Poploc system to work in the same manner?

As far as I know, if you buy "new" shifters they come with both the indicator and the blanking plate, whereas the OEM ones only come with the indicator. I just asked my LBS if they could change remove the indicators for me, and it happened. So I imagine someone else upgraded and didn't want the blanking plates. Mine were the 2x10 XT shifters.

So phone a few bike shops and ask - I'm sure that you will be able to find some locally.

Ahoy all.

Since my new bike seems to have a bajillion levers and toggles (2x brakes, dropper remote, remote fork lockout, bacon dispenser) I'm looking at tidying things up a bit.

How much do you want for the bacon dispenser and does it have options for "barely warmed over" up to "extra crispy"?

My old bike had a poploc remote that I was vaguely keen on getting rid of. I recall doing the research, and it just seemed a little more complex than taking off the cable, so the project was always put off, until a replacement bicycle sorted out the issue. Procrastinators of the World - Unite, tomorrow or maybe next week!

To get the poploc off and still have a lockout you need a new damper. The top and the damper is one unit.

If you are happy with the lockout in open or mid, then you can hack it with a short piece of cable.

fc42f96d6bbdddca649d2904547bdce2.jpg

Edited by PhilipV

PhilipV has it right - hack to permanently open with a bit of old shifter cable or cough up for a new compression damper. I have a few in a box somewhere if you don't mind a slightly used one, PM me the details of the fork and I'll see if one of them fits.