Preview: New Bike Hub test site is live

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

A quick update on the new Classifieds platform we announced a little while ago. Our test site is live and we're keen to hear your feedback.

Preview the site here: https://beta.bikehub.co.za/

Important notes:

• If you'd like to give the site a test run let us know in the comments here or via PM and we'll activate your account.
  • You should be able to login with your usual Bike Hub username and password
  • Updates on Beta will not be reflected on the current site
  • Email notifications are disabled on the test site by default

What to expect?
A Beta version of any software is pre-release version made available to a limited group of users to test under “real world” conditions. This means that you are likely to encounter issues based on your specific device or use of the platform. These might be system errors, features which do not function in the way you’d expect or are missing altogether.

What we’d like from you?
Feedback! Beta testing is crucial in helping us iron out any kinks to ensure that when we do go live the system works as expected and most importantly, caters to the needs of our users.

We’d love to hear your feedback regarding anything you encounter.

How to submit feedback: Look for the Feedback widget visible on all pages. Click/tap on that to submit feedback about the page you are on.

Your account and data
The data on the Beta site is a copy of the current version of Bike Hub at a point in time. This means that your user account and associated advert data will reflect the status at that point in time.
NB: Changes made on the Beta site will not reflect on the live Bike Hub site (and vice-versa)

Access & Login
Beta site linkhttps://beta.bikehub.co.za/
Login: Use your current Bike Hub username & password (it should work seamlessly)

Links to other sections
The test site includes a new Home Page and Classifieds section, but all links to Forums, Articles, Events and Stolen Bikes will take you back to the current site. In order to navigate back to the Beta site either hit Back on your browser or visit the link above.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick look, classifieds seems to be taking over the page.  On my personal level would prefer the classified pics to be a little smaller as they seem to dominate the page.  All for change to help improve the experience.  Just my 2c

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean on the home page in particular? (i.e. https://beta.bikehub.co.za/)

And is this on desktop or a mobile device?

Do you mean on the home page in particular? (i.e. https://beta.bikehub.co.za/)

And is this on desktop or a mobile device?

Yes, the home page on desktop (chrome).  Classifieds search, sub search category boxes and much larger pics of what's on sale (recently listed), seem to dominate the page. 

If this is the major driving force behind the business model, so be it.if it helps improve and make viable

Had a quick look, classifieds seems to be taking over the page.  On my personal level would prefer the classified pics to be a little smaller as they seem to dominate the page.  All for change to help improve the experience.  Just my 2c

I agree.

On Desktop, going to the home page, it strikes me as primarily a sales site now. And the News & Articles now seems like an afterthought.

Yes, the home page on desktop (chrome).  Classifieds search, sub search category boxes and much larger pics of what's on sale (recently listed), seem to dominate the page. 

If this is the major driving force behind the business model, so be it.if it helps improve and make viable

Classifieds does account for the lions share of activity on Bike Hub (70% of page views on the site) so it is certainly an important factor for the business and a big focus for us moving forward. One of our goals is to better highlight this section, particularly for new visitors.

However, it's vital for us to balance the community (forums), news & articles, events and other elements of the site. They're all important pillars for us and the forums are the reason for our existence.

I agree.

On Desktop, going to the home page, it strikes me as primarily a sales site now. And the News & Articles now seems like an afterthought.

The way each Hubber interacts with the site is unique and we can't ignore that. Finding the right balance has been tricky and the home page in particular is something we've grappled with (and are still grappling with in some respects).

Think it will always be a difficult juggling act to have balance, the 70% are likely to be new hubbers and are probably here looking for a purchase or a sale.

The 30% is probably the hubbers who hang around, who whilst keep an eye on the classifieds, enjoy the chat and banter in the forums and look to read the news articles and gear reviews. So would likely prefer a more community based layout than a classified one... but that doesn't pay the bills!!

for many of us in Hubland, it's actually social media where the thought police have blocked the usual suspects.

the old site was akin to a coffee shop for meet n'greet and general banter with a small vendor in the corner, and the new site is a large corporate-y shop with a coffee vendor outside

I like the new layout , looks great.

However ,why not have all active forum topics listed in the scrolling block on the home page, including what’s listed under “off topic discussion “?

Lots of us read those threads regularly and would be easier not to have to click through menu tabs to find.

for many of us in Hubland, it's actually social media where the thought police have blocked the usual suspects.

the old site was akin to a coffee shop for meet n'greet and general banter with a small vendor in the corner, and the new site is a large corporate-y shop with a coffee vendor outside

I like the analogy and appreciate the feedback. Although we do want to modernise the site, we are conscious of making it too cold and corporate. The Bike Hub community, not just within the forums, but classifieds and all sections are the lifeblood of the site. The last thing we want to do is alienate our community with too much gentrification. But by the same token, there's room for some improvement.

With the community in mind, the "Latest Forum Posts" is something that was recognised early on as a key feature to retain (size and position) on the home page.  

Are there particular elements of the new home page which you think give this impression? E.g. position of various sections, the blue "Buy / Sell / Connect" bar or anything else?

I like the new layout , looks great.

However ,why not have all active forum topics listed in the scrolling block on the home page, including what’s listed under “off topic discussion “?

Lots of us read those threads regularly and would be easier not to have to click through menu tabs to find.

This is something we've had in place for quite some time on the current site (filtering off topic posts out of the primary "Latest Posts" block.)

First and foremost we are a cycling site, so while we do provide off topic discussion sections they naturally don't get the same level of promotion as cycling sections, particularly on our home page.

Hey Matt, I've been meaning to ask for a week or so but is there any chance of having a 'dark' theme on the new site for mobile browsing? Visiting the pages in bed late at night or before a morning ride, all that white is rather bright, even on the phones lowest brightness settings.

Really liking the favorites on ads feature. In the past I was screenshotting things I wanted to go back to. Maybe it was always there and I was using it wrong? Hahaa.

What about including an emoji happy face, indifferent face, and angry face next to sellers name on posts as a quick reference to persons ratings. Then you can click in to read the details?