[Event] Paarl Cycle Tour

Paarl Rotary

Event Name: Paarl Cycle Tour
When: 2 February 2020
Where: Fairview wine estate, Western Cape
Category: Road

The annual Paarl Cycle Tour on Sunday 2 February will bring more than 1500 cyclists to Paarl. The event, organised by the Rotary Club of Paarl, will start at a new venue, scenic Fairview wine estate, for the first time. It will be a seeding race for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020 and is held under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association (PPA).

There will be three races, with online registration, timing and seeding by RaceTec. The races will start at Fairview, on the western slope of Paarl Mountain, and from there cyclists can travel on three routes in the rural Agter-Paarl/Klipheuwel area.

The first race over 97.8km starts at 06:00 (entry fee is R280, PPA members R260). It is for more experienced riders and will be a seeding race for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. The second race, over 71.9 km, starts at 07:00 (entry fee R260, PPA members R240). The third race, over 46.6 km, starts at 08:00 (entry fee R220, PPA members R210). The closing date for on-line registration is Monday 27 January 2020 at 12:00.

Cyclists will take off in a northerly direction from the entrance of Fairview (this section of road will only allow for north-bound traffic on race day). Participants coming from Wellington will have to travel via Paarl or via Klapmuts (R44) to reach Fairview.

The races will finish on the Old Paarl Road (R101) near the turn-off to Fairview. Thereafter cyclists return to the wine estate, where there will be a variety of food and beverage stalls as well as music and kiddies’ entertainment. There will also be a bike park, so that you can lock your bike, relax and enjoy the festivities and the lucky draw. Another feature will be trailer rides to neighbouring Spice Route, where there is a playpark for kids. Prior booking is recommended for the restaurants at Fairview and Spice Route (Sundays are particularly busy).

Race numbers can be collected at ASG Paarl in the Laborie Centre in Paarl on 1 February from 08:30 to 10:30 or at Chris Willemse Cycles at Willowbridge on the same day from 12:00 to 15:00. Late entries are accepted on race day at Fairview from 05:00 (late entry fees are R320 for the first race, R300 for the second race and R260 for the third race). Entries will be limited to 2500 cyclists.

To enter, go to http://www.racetec.co.za/calendar or visit www.paarlcycletour.co.za for more detail on the routes. Proceeds of the race go to Paarl Rotary projects focusing on early childhood and youth development.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the 'long' race so much shorter now compared with previous years?  The route used to be about 125km and went past Riebeek Kasteel.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the 'long' race so much shorter now compared with previous years?  The route used to be about 125km and went past Riebeek Kasteel.

That used to be the Bouckhaert-Soenen. It has been scrapped, this race replaces it. 

Brand new event.

• 1 month later...

So I'm guessing since SCT was cancelled this race might get an increase in popularity, pay day will come for most before entries close.

As it should. It is quite a nice route.

Yes.. On their website they lay out the route in detail.

Map view and profile.

Max gradient, etc. It's all there

all links from various sources, google,  including PPA and racetec event pages, do not resolve (from work, so possible firewall issue) to a website. Also, when I did manage to access a functioning paarl tour webpage, I couldn't find a route profile, just the route and event details.

Hence my question.

Edited by Capricorn

all links from various sources, google,  including PPA and racetec event pages, do not resolve (from work, so possible firewall issue) to a website. Also, when I did manage to access a functioning paarl tour webpage, I couldn't find a route profile, just the route and event details.

Hence my question.

Dunno then.. This has had all the info I needed from day 1

https://www.paarlcycletour.co.za/long-route/

post-45765-0-55484400-1579796719_thumb.png