[Event] Paarl Cycle Tour

Paarl Rotary

Yep, Just go win the 99er Milky, no out and out sprinters gonna be able to take you on up Vissers or Odendaal! Lol

:eek:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I think that the index/winners time adjustment is pretty fair.

This race was way to easy and that was clear as 50 plus riders all finished on the same time. It would be unrealistic to bump all 50 riders seeding to below an index of 10.

This coming weekend will be your best chance to bump up your seeding at the 99er. 

Just out of interest

Didn't do the 99er last year but in 2017 & 2018 the race had betas of 1.03 & 1.05 and the winning times were adjusted by 8 minutes and 13 minutes respectively.

Doing the math it meant the winner of the 2017 99er got a seeding index of 8 and 2018 an index of 5

Both years was impossible for anyone outside $ bunch to get a seeding index below 10, and for those in $ bunch you basically had to finish with the winner to get an index below 10.

Hence my regular seeding rant on how difficult it can be to move from B to A in most races outside the One Tonner & WCE, even the supposedly more difficult ones

I got a 7.79 from Sportive #8. About half of A bunch was left at the end. I do nearly all the races and every now and then there is an "easy" one that gets you a good seeding.

I should add: There is no way I am going to be anywhere near the front at the end of the 99er. I might be 2 mins down on the winner if things go very well :)

Edited by davidtinker

Just out of interest

Didn't do the 99er last year but in 2017 & 2018 the race had betas of 1.03 & 1.05 and the winning times were adjusted by 8 minutes and 13 minutes respectively.

Doing the math it meant the winner of the 2017 99er got a seeding index of 8 and 2018 an index of 5

Both years was impossible for anyone outside $ bunch to get a seeding index below 10, and for those in $ bunch you basically had to finish with the winner to get an index below 10.

Hence my regular seeding rant on how difficult it can be to move from B to A in most races outside the One Tonner & WCE, even the supposedly more difficult ones

Durbie Dash 2019, 1 Tonner and Sportive 7 have all given me a sub 10 index but that was of course starting from A or $ and finishing in the winning bunch. 

I suppose starting in B and then getting a sub 15 index to get into A shouldn't be that hard either since PPA changed the index for A to 0-15 instead of the previous 0-10 rule.

Remember a few years back PPA used to do the avg of your 3 lowest index scores before you could improve your seeding. These days they only use your best 1 result so it should be a lot easier these days.

Remember a few years back PPA used to do the avg of your 3 lowest index scores before you could improve your seeding. These days they only use your best 1 result so it should be a lot easier these days.

I remember that. Index for A at one point was 0 - 5. Never managed to make it myself. Got very close but getting 3 to average out below 5 was difficult. Although then we had like 2 races a weekend so you had a lot of chances but I never manged to make it. Not sure if i will make it in the new system but don't think so.

Yep, Just go win the 99er Milky, no out and out sprinters gonna be able to take you on up Vissers or Odendaal! Lol

hahaha apparently I'm not a climber ...anymore at least. I'll be MTB XCO'ing this weekend.

Durbie Dash 2019, 1 Tonner and Sportive 7 have all given me a sub 10 index but that was of course starting from A or $ and finishing in the winning bunch. 

I suppose starting in B and then getting a sub 15 index to get into A shouldn't be that hard either since PPA changed the index for A to 0-15 instead of the previous 0-10 rule.

Well yes, if you already in A bunch then it's  not that hard to get another "A" result by just finishing in within your bunch. (And from milky's posts I get the idea he is looking for an index closer to zero rather than 10 or 15)

Problem is when you are not in A it can be impossible to get there for a large number of events even if you win your group.

My understanding the change of the groupings from 10 to 15 has to do with the 2019 CTCT which is the new base event not because they made it easier to get into A. In theory this year the betas will be lower and the adjusted winning times bigger so it will be as hard to get a 15 index this year than it was getting a 10 index last year.

Whether it is like that in practice I don't know, haven't done that many races the past few months but it was like that for the One Tonner.

Edited by Skubarra

Problem is when you are not in A it can be impossible to get there for a large number of events even if you win your group.

A and B often start together in the smaller races. If you get to the end with the front bunch you are almost certain to make A (and you should!).

A and B often start together in the smaller races. If you get to the end with the front bunch you are almost certain to make A (and you should!).

I was in D, did One Tonner (C-D groups combined), seeded B for next race (Langebaan challenge - A and B groups combined). After that was seeded in A, so it's definitely possible.

I was in D, did One Tonner (C-D groups combined), seeded B for next race (Langebaan challenge - A and B groups combined). After that was seeded in A, so it's definitely possible.

One Tonner is the one exception to my rant - great event to improve your seeding. My seeding problems only started when I punctured doing the One Tonner  :P

I'm quite happy in B because that is more or less my ability but I find it hard to maintain a B seeding riding in B, index always start dropping down despite usually finishing near the front of B.

not any more :)