Your help is requested

_Pat_

I tried the whole back a buddy thing as well, unfortunately used that card so cant really use it again and wasnt quiet as successful as I was hoping it would be

Start a backa buddy profile and put on all social media sites, all the best of luck.

Hi Stuart. Clearly you can ride a bike, but is it sustainable? Being pro/ semi-pro in SA is a bottomless pit. All I can contribute is to propose that you get back into building a career outside of cycling. Maybe laying low for a year or two (well, you can still do your races) whilst finding your feet in whichever engineering field you are, is not such a bad idea.

It is hectic to sacrifice what you love, but keep your extended future in mind.

All the best. I truly hope you get helped

Edited by CogitoErgoSum

Hi Stuart. Clearly you can ride a bike, but is it sustainable? Being pro/ semi-pro in SA is a bottomless pit. All I can contribute is to propose that you get back into building a career outside of cycling. Maybe laying low for a year or two (well, you can still do your races) whilst finding your feet in whichever engineering field you are, is not such a bad idea.

I know one of the TOP Ironman athletes .... despite winning a couple of full Ironman events he still has to keep his day job in engineering ....

The Holywood version of professional athletes sadly is not available to many ... often despite top results !

Getting a manager/promoter may be the way to go.  Just being on the podium is not enough.  Sponsors wants bang for their buck ...

Maybe thats why the bulk of SA pro riders went oseas, following the cash if it isnt viable in SA.

S.A. Economy also at the end of its rope and it is likely that businesses under pressure hit marketing budgets first as a way to batten down the hatches.

Sad state of affairs indeed, wish you luck.

I know one of the TOP Ironman athletes .... despite winning a couple of full Ironman events he still has to keep his day job in engineering ....

The Holywood version of professional athletes sadly is not available to many ... often despite top results !

Getting a manager/promoter may be the way to go.  Just being on the podium is not enough.  Sponsors wants bang for their buck ...

It seems that these days results just arent enough. Sponsors are looking to move product so personalities play a large part in that too.

Look at Sagan, highest paid pro road cyclist and very little of that is based on his results. There is *always* a crowd around him and that is what sponsors are looking for.                                                                                   

It seems that these days results just arent enough. Sponsors are looking to move product so personalities play a large part in that too.

Look at Sagan, highest paid pro road cyclist and very little of that is based on his results. There is *always* a crowd around him and that is what sponsors are looking for.

Yes that Sagan chap hasn’t really done much - bit of a disappointing career really. Luckily his personality keeps the sponsors there.

That, the odd world title, a monument here and then and a few TDF green jerseys

But I get the drift, it’s more than just results

I can Imagine that this is a option he has contemplated many a times and a VERY difficult one. We are always taught to never give up on your dreams, but to what expense? 

Tough one to be in Stuart, and really hope it works out for you and that there is still hope left for young athletes trying to make a career in Pro MTB in SA.

But at 31 years of age and maybe having 6 years of racing left in you (with no savings or back up plan) is it not time to put your dreams aside for a year or two like Cogito said and to start focusing on another career? 

I can Imagine that this is a option he has contemplated many a times and a VERY difficult one. We are always taught to never give up on your dreams, but to what expense?

Tough one to be in Stuart, and really hope it works out for you and that there is still hope left for young athletes trying to make a career in Pro MTB in SA.

But at 31 years of age and maybe having 6 years of racing left in you (with no savings or back up plan) is it not time to put your dreams aside for a year or two like Cogito said and to start focusing on another career?

Everyone is being very diplomatic. The reality is that at your age you have no sustainable future racing bikes. Get your career on track and keep racing on the side. Even with a SA pro contract you will struggle to make ends meet.

Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable and we dont want to hear it. As far as I can see nobody was disrespectful, just offering a reality check. Which, going on an open platform, is what you'll get from sensible people. We all have to come to terms with reality at some point.

All of us would help, if we could, and if it made sense. We must stop living in this world where things don't get said because it might hurt someone's feelings, it creates false expectations.

Lots of career advice being given round here but the OP wasn't asking for it. He specifically asked for those interested in partnering with him to step forward...perhaps keep the energies focused on that for the time being?