the36one on a gravel bike?

Face Plant

Hi guys

I am looking for some advise from people that have ridden the 36one, would a gravel bike be a good weapon of choice?

Two options to consider:

Standard gravel bike

Gravel bike with a Lauf fork

Hi guys

I am looking for some advise from people that have ridden the 36one, would a gravel bike be a good weapon of choice?

Two options to consider:

Standard gravel bike

Gravel bike with a Lauf fork

Why don't you try it and let us know?

My advice would be no. I would run a 100mm dual suss with pretty low sag so that it irons out the corrugations and allows you to sit and pedal put out an even power at even cadence without having to change position too often.

Put some spir grips or the Farr aero clip and some bar ends on for hand position options.

Gravel bikes are super fun but in reality they actually suck at churning out big miles and big hours on our corrugates, rough roads.

It can definitely be done, but I don't think it would be the weapon of choice

My advice would be no. I would run a 100mm dual suss with pretty low sag so that it irons out the corrugations and allows you to sit and pedal put out an even power at even cadence without having to change position too often.

Put some spir grips or the Farr aero clip and some bar ends on for hand position options.

Gravel bikes are super fun but in reality they actually suck at churning out big miles and big hours on our corrugates, rough roads.

thanks Jewbacca

Out of curiosity would you reckon a 100 mm dual-sus would be more efficient to pedal than a hardtail with plus-size wheels?

UCI rule is that gravel bikes are only allowed to do half the race

Well that makes the choice alot easier ... guess its the dual sus then  :w00t:

Out of curiosity would you reckon a 100 mm dual-sus would be more efficient to pedal than a hardtail with plus-size wheels?

I definitely would yes... Plus size tires have more rolling resistance and most 100mm dual suss bikes are literally designed for racing.

Before anyone throws the 'but bikepacking' argument at me, most bike packing bikes aren't ridden at speed. It's 100% leisure.

There are dual sus gravel bikes

hahaha I doubt too many South Africans own a NINER proto or a MOOTS titanium soft tail... But ja.

Then I would probably still pick a 100mm dual suss as those roads are crap and 2.25 tires will be better than skinny gravel tires.

I regard my gravel bike (Trek Checkpoint) as the bastard lovechild of my road bike and my dual suss mtb, in some contexts it seems to combine the worst of both parents. I don't know why I love it but I do but I definitely wouldn't ride it 360km on tough gravel roads.

I regard my gravel bike (Trek Checkpoint) as the bastard lovechild of my road bike and my dual suss mtb, in some contexts it seems to combine the worst of both parents. I don't know why I love it but I do but I definitely wouldn't ride it 360km on tough gravel roads.

hahaha that is so true. The only time I ever actually use mine for it's intended purpose is at Swartberg Gran Fondo. Otherwise it smashes Greenbelts and other non technical trails around the Southern Peninsula.

I’ve done 360ne on an mtb hardtail and have done the 100 miler on a gravel bike with 650bx50c. From my personal sufferings...... 360ne + gravel bike = Eina!???? It is going to make a tough day on the bike even harder, possibly DNF, because your body is gonna take a hammering!

UCI rule is that gravel bikes are only allowed to do half the race

What defines a gravel bike (drop bars?)? 

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but you can only do the half on a drop bar bike. A couple of very dissappointed chaps on their gravel bikes who enteres for the full in 2017 were forced to do the half because they were on gravel bikes.

I'll be doing the half on a steel gravel bike next year though. No suspension, just some 45c tyres.