Will you repair this?

Mopkop

Hi everyone

I came off about 3 weeks ago hitting something in the shoulder and waking up off the side of the road.

Bicycle took most of the damage as I only have some scrapes and scratches.

So I've put in an insurance claim but now they want to repair the bicycle. I can use the brake calipers, crank, front derailleur, cassette and chain. The rest of the bike is damaged and both rims are dented or buckled.

I am not comfortable with repairing the frame and I'd like to hear from the rest of you what you'd do

Check the pics

post-35789-0-73584200-1574681653_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-45740800-1574681671_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-52930800-1574681680_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-20173700-1574681698_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-39375700-1574681706_thumb.jpg

post-35789-0-86424500-1574681714_thumb.jpg

Top tube is cracked on 2 places and headtube is cracked almost right around. Visually there's no fork damage but I would think that either the steerer or the crown took a beating to be able to crack the headtube the way it did.

Repairer is offering lifetime warranty on the work that they're going to do

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your bike to James Perry at CBR (Carbon Bike Repair) in Durbanville for an assesment for your insurance.

I would not repair that frame if I were you, but James has done magic on one of my carbon frames in the past.

They got their quotation from him. If it was a smaller crack somewhere else on the frame I'd Be fine with the repair but not this frame with its damage.

Also, what happens if i crack another section of the frame in a few months and then I'm unable to do a manufacturer warranty cos the frame has been worked on.

Firstly you never paid for a repair insurance but replacement insurance. I am not sure who the insurer is but this option of repair should have been explained upfront in the first instance as well. There is no way I will accept the repair on the frame or wheels for that matter. The should in all fairness replace the frame and if they really persist as a compromise, repair the wheels as a measure of you meeting them half way but my view is that they should replace because that is what the premiums is calculated on. if they wanted to be innovative then they should have offered a repair insurance with reduce premiums. Without sight of the t&c, I am basing my view on what you mentioned. Share more on this as it unfolds.

Firstly you never paid for a repair insurance but replacement insurance. I am not sure who the insurer is but this option of repair should have been explained upfront in the first instance as well. There is no way I will accept the repair on the frame or wheels for that matter. The should in all fairness replace the frame and if they really persist as a compromise, repair the wheels as a measure of you meeting them half way but my view is that they should replace because that is what the premiums is calculated on. if they wanted to be innovative then they should have offered a repair insurance with reduce premiums. Without sight of the t&c, I am basing my view on what you mentioned. Share more on this as it unfolds.

I sent them 2 reports and 2 replacement quotes from 2 shops. They then sent out an assessor who took the bike to a 3rd store.

Someone at this store informed the assessor that this can be repaired and they got a quote from CBR. This store also gave a replacement quote along with the repair from CBR which they (the store) will be responsible for.

This took about 2 weeks as you cannot buy a Chapter 2 off any shop floor and they needed to do more research.

I am 100% sure that if said store had sold my bike, they would too never of recommended a repair but rather a replacement.

BTW its Santam via PSG

Terms and conditions on most insurance policies reserve them the right to repair instead of replacing. Given the cost of bikes and their ease of damage, the decision to accept a repair instead of replacing saves them money, but isn't exactly how we (the consumer) want it. 

Warranty would be voided by the repair. If it cracks again, it'd be repaired again. 

to be frank: I'd fight that tooth and nail, as it seems like it's a catastrophic damage in high load areas. BUT. I know that the strength of a good carbon repair is often far above that of the standard item. The major thing to bear in mind is that it's still able to be insured for the full value of the new replacement item should there be a total loss due to theft etc. It seems as if the insurers are now using that right to repair far more widely than previously, due to (most likely) higher incidences of fraudulent claims (people breaking frames just to get new ones)

TL;DR. I don't like it, and I'd fight it if I was in that industry, but the insurers are within their rights to request a diagnosis and repair quote from a licensed & experienced repairer, just as they are with cars and other assets you insure. CBR is one of those companies. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Hi everyone

I came off about 3 weeks ago hitting something in the shoulder and waking up off the side of the road.

Bicycle took most of the damage as I only have some scrapes and scratches.

So I've put in an insurance claim but now they want to repair the bicycle. I can use the brake calipers, crank, front derailleur, cassette and chain. The rest of the bike is damaged and both rims are dented or buckled.

I am not comfortable with repairing the frame and I'd like to hear from the rest of you what you'd do

Check the pics

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0026.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0027.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0030.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0033.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0036.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20191102-WA0037.jpg

Top tube is cracked on 2 places and headtube is cracked almost right around. Visually there's no fork damage but I would think that either the steerer or the crown took a beating to be able to crack the headtube the way it did.

Repairer is offering lifetime warranty on the work that they're going to do

You cannot claim on the warranty if the you are dead having another crash due to the frame failing. Stay away from repairing this and rather do not take a chance!

To be honest that can be repaired BUT i would trust only 3 people to do it... And thats not just a simple lap and pap job either.

If you do not feel comfortable to have it repaired then DONT. You have the right to tell that to your insurance. Also for a head tube to snap like that the steerer tube of the fork is bound to have some damage even if not visible to the naked eye. Think twice before having it repaired mate. As i always say your life is more important than saving or making a couple of bucks.