Will you repair this?

Mopkop

Anyone here have experience with having a deep section (65mm) carbon rim repaired? Seemed risky, but tried a repair anyway, got the wheel back yesterday. It didn’t even survive being pumped up before I noticed (and heard) this bulge form.

Is it better to just rebuild the wheel with new rim?

87ADD7E1-0A51-4F81-AB71-11666234D311.jpeg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

Perhaps worth a watch

Not 100% relevant to a disc brake wheel, but one thing I take away from this video is that there are extremely few scenarios worth fixing. Im going to send the wheel to carbon repair for an assessment before turfing the rim for a new one.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 4:11 AM, Kom said:

Anyone here have experience with having a deep section (65mm) carbon rim repaired? Seemed risky, but tried a repair anyway, got the wheel back yesterday. It didn’t even survive being pumped up before I noticed (and heard) this bulge form.

Is it better to just rebuild the wheel with new rim?

87ADD7E1-0A51-4F81-AB71-11666234D311.jpeg

Yea, rather replace it, your safety is worth the money.

48 minutes ago, Zize said:

I had the same problem. My son loves to ride his bicycle. But he rides very fast. I scold him for that. Recently he fell and scratched his back badly. The bike was pretty badly damaged. The chain came off and the handlebars bent. I tried to fix the problem myself. But it didn't work. I went to bicycle maintenance. They fixed the bike and it now looks like new. But I think my son will be punished and only I will ride it from now on.

Kids bounce back faster than us.

Let him ride and be a kid. So you want to punish him for having fun?  

Edited by Steady Spin

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

Kids bounce back faster than us.

Let him ride and be a kid. So you want to punish him for having fun?  

Saturday's Eselfontein ride reminded me how the younger generation CAN ride.  55km route, with a good sprinkling of black sections, and the odd nasty surprise ....

130 started, 30 did not finish .... The one guy snapped two spokes at one of these little surprises ....

And the overall winner is a mere 20 years old.  The 2nd team to finish included a 16 year old.... think he was riding with his dad.  Almost feel sorry for him trying to keep up with all that youthfull energy on a route like that.

7 hours ago, Zize said:

I had the same problem. My son loves to ride his bicycle. But he rides very fast. I scold him for that. Recently he fell and scratched his back badly. The bike was pretty badly damaged. The chain came off and the handlebars bent. I tried to fix the problem myself. But it didn't work. I went to bicycle maintenance. They fixed the bike and it now looks like new. But I think my son will be punished and only I will ride it from now on.

No man. Don't be like that. 

Bikes are meant to be ridden fast. Falls happen. Scratches and breakage will occur. Chains that fall off can be put back in again and handlebars straightened. 

Your boy might be the next Sifiso Nhlapo, Burry Stander, or Louis Meintjies. But if you punish him that talent will remain undiscovered. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, ChrisF said:

Saturday's Eselfontein ride reminded me how the younger generation CAN ride.  55km route, with a good sprinkling of black sections, and the odd nasty surprise ....

130 started, 30 did not finish .... The one guy snapped two spokes at one of these little surprises ....

And the overall winner is a mere 20 years old.  The 2nd team to finish included a 16 year old.... think he was riding with his dad.  Almost feel sorry for him trying to keep up with all that youthfull energy on a route like that.

Apologies, off track and posted before but I laughed when Greg Minnaar's old man told me how he took Greg to his first MTB race at age 12 (as I remember). Greg buggered off and was only seen again at the finish. The rest is history.