Half Wheelers / Tag along bikes for kids

PjT

Hi all,

Need some info/comments from the guys who have experience with these tag-along bikes for their kids.

These are like hen's teeth...very scarce, and get snapped up quickly when advertised.

The Giant ones have gears with grip shift for the kids, whilst other brands made a single speed.

A) How much more "enjoyable" for a kid would the gears be vs single speed?

B) Would it be fairly easy to convert the sinlgespeed to a geared bike, by using the rearwheel/drivetrain of another 20" bike?

I have an option to buy a Raleigh model (single speed) that is in very good condition.

On the one side hesitant for the single speed, but I also feel that we all grew up with BMX without gears. And lesser maintenance too.

Agreed / comments?

Hi all,

Need some info/comments from the guys who have experience with these tag-along bikes for their kids.

These are like hen's teeth...very scarce, and get snapped up quickly when advertised.

The Giant ones have gears with grip shift for the kids, whilst other brands made a single speed.

A) How much more "enjoyable" for a kid would the gears be vs single speed?

B) Would it be fairly easy to convert the sinlgespeed to a geared bike, by using the rearwheel/drivetrain of another 20" bike?

I have an option to buy a Raleigh model (single speed) that is in very good condition.

On the one side hesitant for the single speed, but I also feel that we all grew up with BMX without gears. And lesser maintenance too.

Agreed / comments?

honestly speaking, the gears don’t really matter. My daughter rides one of these in Redwoods forest with me and she doesn’t use the gears at all.

It’s just one more thing that can break. I prefer the simplicity of the single speed.

She can use the gears on her own bike.

I have the weehoo for my oldest and half the time he doesn't even pedal. It is single speed. He's only 4 so maybe he will pedal when he gets older but even then it's not like the going will even get tough and he will have to change gears for any reason. TBH SS is the way to go. Agree 100% with Wayne, less maintenance etc as well.

i snapped one of these up on this here hub - the giant one with 7 speed gripshift.

Figured N+1.5 was a thing that i could sneak past the wifey, and she says it's the best bike i've ever bought!

don't have experience with the SS version, but am happy the kids are learning about gears.

kids are 5 and 7. they FIGHT over who gets to ride on the halfwheeler.

can take yungsta to school quickly and pop straight back home (must look funny to see it empty behind me)

Pretty easy to get on and off, I'm not so precious about my roadbike but the seatpost takes a bit of metal on metal abuse.

I looked at this option too, but would have considered just getting a budget bike and taking fork/frontwheel off and "making a halfwheelr"4015493640059_ml.jpg

and you know what, i think i'll end up getting my money back.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like SS is the way to go. :thumbup:

Another question if you don't mind; do any of you guys have a dropper post?

I have a Lyne XL contour dropper post on my bike, and I was wondering if it would cause damage to the dropper if I attached the tag-along to the dropper.

Obviously on the lower/outer tube part of the dropper that is stationary ( not the moving part)  ;)

I have a Lyne XL contour dropper post on my bike, and I was wondering if it would cause damage to the dropper if I attached the tag-along to the dropper.

Obviously on the lower/outer tube part of the dropper that is stationary ( not the moving part)  ;)

to answer the original question, reckon you could try and retrofit to geared, but there might not be mounts for anything so it gets quite a mission.

on my roadbike, alu post. I have been meaning to put an innertube on it to prevent the scratching. I'm not really concerned about cosmetics, but am worried that i could crush it if too tight.

Obviously on the lower/outer tube part of the dropper that is stationary ( not the moving part) ;)

yep. I use it on a dropper. No issues so far. Been using it for about two years.

to answer the original question, reckon you could try and retrofit to geared, but there might not be mounts for anything so it gets quite a mission.

on my roadbike, alu post. I have been meaning to put an innertube on it to prevent the scratching. I'm not really concerned about cosmetics, but am worried that i could crush it if too tight.

thank for reply.

i agree that mounts and other hidden problems could make it not worth it.

Innertube to prevent metal-on-metal scratching makes a lot of sense... or type of plastic bushing of sorts.

Edited by PjT

i snapped one of these up on this here hub - the giant one with 7 speed gripshift.

Figured N+1.5 was a thing that i could sneak past the wifey, and she says it's the best bike i've ever bought!

don't have experience with the SS version, but am happy the kids are learning about gears.

kids are 5 and 7. they FIGHT over who gets to ride on the halfwheeler.

can take yungsta to school quickly and pop straight back home (must look funny to see it empty behind me)

Pretty easy to get on and off, I'm not so precious about my roadbike but the seatpost takes a bit of metal on metal abuse.

I looked at this option too, but would have considered just getting a budget bike and taking fork/frontwheel off and "making a halfwheelr"4015493640059_ml.jpg

and you know what, i think i'll end up getting my money back.

Yes those giant ones are top notch, and they don't stay in available in any classifieds section for long. I missed a couple in the last months or so..

I saw that Trail-Gator yes, and did some web reviews too.

Some users complaining about too much movement (sideways) that is not there with the half wheelers. Also, is using a slightly bigger bike than that in your picture, the front wheel is barely lifted off the ground. Too close for my comfort.

Edited by PjT