RAPIDE rims long term?

Mongooser

Hi all

was interested to hear what you guys have thought of the rapide tr27-30 sl 650b hoops?

busy sticking together a new DH bike and need some budget friendly hoops and they seem to be ideal

I've been running DT swiss fr600s and haven't dented them ....yet anyway,

otherwise what other options are there? 

Not much for that price unless you go international online and look for specials. The latest Stans Flows are also worth looking at but quite pricey

Can't speak to the durability of the rims (others say they are great), as I don't own a set. But you can be sure that Wayne will back up his product with fantastic after sales service if there is an issue.

Well worth the money buying from Rapide, quality products and great service!

I've had mine for 3 years now.

Picked up a heavy knock on the side with a bit of a ding on the rim I was worried would be an issue, but has not given me a single issue ever.

I am 100% sure if I wanted to send my rim back to them for repair it would get done with no questions asked.

As a wheel builder, I use the rims from Rapide in builds for the budget-conscious. I can honestly say that the quality of the rims is as good as, if not better than, most big name brand rims, and certainly better than some, in terms of durability.

I use the 29er rims in my loan wheels and they've held up well.

DTs are basically the definition of bulletproof.

You'll destroy the Rapides in a month.

Rather get stronger wheels and save the budget on drivetrain and cockpit.

Edit: Not because I think they're substandard, but because you're hard on kit. It'll end up being cheaper in the long run to build EX511 or Flow EX3 which you won't break.

Edited by droo

I missed the OP's DH bike detail. There are no DT Swiss rims available through official channels in SA suitable for DH.

If you want DH-ready rims, get Spank rims. THE BEST alloy DH rim option, in my opinion. They also don't cost the earth.

Nick, I believe I broke your Rapide rim cherry.

Used on my rear wheel, it is still running perfectly true. General user feeling about these rims; can't seat a tubeless tire with a track pump on them, and tires can be a bit of a bitch to get onto the rim (generally need to use a tire level). I have the 25mm 29er rim. I don't regret my choice at all.

I dinged the bejesus out of my AC Wide Lightning rim, these are definitely stronger than those and not much heavier.

Edited by Knersboy

Edit: Not because I think they're substandard, but because you're hard on kit. It'll end up being cheaper in the long run to build EX511 or Flow EX3 which you won't break.

Ok thanks, Ill shop around for some higher end wheels.

coming next week to bring my fork in before I build up the new frame.

will chat to you about options then

I missed the OP's DH bike detail. There are no DT Swiss rims available through official channels in SA suitable for DH.

If you want DH-ready rims, get Spank rims. THE BEST alloy DH rim option, in my opinion. They also don't cost the earth.

thanks, I saw theres a set in the classifieds. Will consider them as a option

Edited by Mongooser